Could not uncompress second stage ramdisk

Guest DrRumpy

Helo!

I've got the same problem: I/O error device hdd etc.

I think it may be hardware problem because I have already installed mandrake 10 few months ago and everything went fine. I hadn't changed my hardware since that time, but I formatted whole hdd and installed XP. And then while trying to install mandrake 10 that problem occurred. Firstly I thought it got to be problem with my partitions but I've formatted whole disc again, made partitions with XP instalator, installed XP and created another partitions with Partitiom Magic 8. But while installing mandrake 10 i've met the same problem again :wall:

I don't know what to do now. May it be a damage of my hdd?

my machine is celeron 1,7 , 256 ddr, hdd Barracuda 40GB, mainboard P4VXASD2 with VIA chipset

:P sorry for my english :P I used to write polish :D

Ruman If you are using the same disks as you did the first time you installed Mandrake then maybe the old disk is scratched. Or the cdrom could be going bad or a memory chip is starting to act up or the hard drive has a few bad sections.

It could be anything at this point but I would start by checking the disk then the cdrom then the hard drive.

Just a follow up to my problem, As I said earlier I did get Madrake to install. I think the problem was mostly my CD/DVD ROM drive. After my installation as I was trying to install other pacakegs using urpmi I was getting errors saying it could read the files correctly. I ended up switcing my Burner and DVD drive so my burner was the master, this seam to solve a lot of problems. So I'm willing to lay my installation woes on MY DVD drive as being the culprit, I dunno if it's caude it's old or what. Also, just make sure when you run into this problem you keep your burn speeds down when burning the installation discs, I have a feeling my earlier problem with my burner was due to that issue.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Checho79

Hello... i just wanted to point out that i am getting the exactly the same error, and although i also use Nero to burn my ISOs, Nero does NOT crash on me. So i guess that would eliminate the one possible problem that Dr. Rumpy was suggesting.

Hope that's worth something...

Checho

No Jesus, No peace, Know Jesus, Know Peace