Could not uncompress second stage ramdisk

Guest DrRumpy

Guest DrRumpy

Hi Folks.

I'm installing Mandrake 10 from scratch and running into this error during the setup. It's my opinion that the burn is the not the problem. This is my third attempt burning a new disk 1 and attempting an install. I've varied the burn speed and checked the Md5 sums on the ISO. The one possible problem is that Nero crashes exiting each burn, however, it's finished burning when the crash occurs.

<Alt-F1> for here:

Could not uncompress second stage ramdisk. This is probably a hardware error while reading the data. (this may be caused by a hardware failure or Linux kernel bug)

<Alt-F3> to see logs:

trying to load /tmp/image/Mandrake/base/mdkinst_stage2.bz2 as a ramdisk

reading compressed ramdisk: IO_ERROR

unsetting automatic

<ALT-F4> for kernel msg:

<4>hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

<4>hdc: media error (bad sector): error 0x30

<4>end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 1351256

<3>Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 337814

Previous installations of different distros using the same DVD-ROM drive have been successful. I've even fired up Knoppix for some partion deleting to see if it would help. It seems this problem has popped up for many others on the forum and not been properly resovled.

Any constructive feedback is welcomed.

Regards,

Rumpy.

Would you give the specs of your system: Chipset, hard drive, usb devices?

Many problems that seem to be the same are in reality only the same symptom, not the same problem, and people who get a solution do not always say that they have. This can give an impression, a false one, that a certain problem is unresolved. Just food for thought! :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest simon_michelson

Were you by any chance using a Cyrix CPU? FC2 wouldn't install on my mini-itx machine because the kernel was incompatible with the cyrix (use cmov?). I'm now trying to install Mandrake 10 and I'm getting the "Could not uncompress second stage reamdisk" message. So, what CPU are you using?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the exact same problem. I've checked the Md5 sums and they check out, and I've burnt the Cds 4 times, last time at the absolute lowest burn speed possible. I have been searching high and low for an answer to this problem. I'm installing on an Epox 8K7a+ Motherboard with an AMD chip. Some one please give me some clue cause I can't find it....

I'll also mention that currently I have SUSE 9.0 installed and it works, as well as it works... no hardware issues. I came from Mandrake 9.0 to SUSE but don't like SUSE very much so I'm trying to return to Mandrake.

Edited by toosh

Try to boot with the 2nd cd. It will ask you to switch disks. When it does, put in the first cd and see if it loads then. If the installer is the issue, this was a work-around with the 10CE release.

Try to boot with the 2nd cd. It will ask you to switch disks. When it does, put in the first cd and see if it loads then. If the installer is the issue, this was a work-around with the 10CE release.

Did that and as soon as I put the first CD in it gives me the same error.... any other suggestions?

I use epox boards and amd chips. (I in fact have an 8k7a) I know that Mandrake works with this equipement.

Since we have eleminated the installer, then I suspect memory or burn. Can you buy a different brand of media? I still think it is a burn issue. You have already verified the iso integrity. Are you burning slow? Good media?

I use epox boards and amd chips. (I in fact have an 8k7a) I know that Mandrake works with this equipement.

Since we have eleminated the installer, then I suspect memory or burn. Can you buy a different brand of media? I still think it is a burn issue. You have already verified the iso integrity. Are you burning slow? Good media?

I've done my burns at 4x speed, lowest I can go... I'm using Memorex Cd-Rs... I've had no problems looking at the CDs through file viewers and can browse the boot dirs and RPMS dirs...

Ok, apperently my last post embarrased my machine because about an hour after It started installing with no problem...

There was two things that went differently:

I retried the same procedure with my low burn speed CD1, got a fraction further which gave me hope. I then rebooted the machine with my CD1 in the burner drive... and voi'la, it installed with out a hitch.. infact I was able to set my vid card at my high desktop resolution I like and no prolembo... a first for any linux install.

the first CD drive is a Toshiba DVD drvie... the Burner is an HP 8100 plus burner... I had already tried the install with this drive with the same earlier results. My guess is that I had a faster burned CD I used in the drive that didn't work, but it still doesn't explain why the behavoir in the Toshiba drive suddenly changed.

My guess would be that either A this is a really picky installer... or the media I'm using ain't so hot and I got lucky that my burner drive could handle it. If the media is the case, then how come this doesn't affect other types of data I burn on these things? I have a MP3 CD player in my car that has never had any problems with this media...

Thanks for the help and let me know what you think was going on....

First, it's a computer!! :D Stuff happens. When I examine a problem, it has to be reproduceable. Otherwise, it's just a fluke.

What position are your drives? I have seen two different problems. One is two cdrom devices on the same ide channel. Usually it manifests when copying data, long burn times and erratic reads of the devices. he second is the first cdrom device reads better than the second device, and particularly during an install. (Even windex!) If there are devices on hdb and hdc, hdb does better installing than hdc. I have observed it, but can't explain it. :unsure:

The DVD drive is the master and the HP Burner is the slave on the sacondary IDE channel.

Anyway, I have one last concern that carries over from my SUSE system. I have a 60GB Maxtor drive in the machine but now, and under SUSE 9.0, the operating system only shows about 28GB. every hardware listing and recognition process sees thia as a 60GB. Any ideas? I use this drive to stockpile and music/videos/whatever I want to keep long term so it is important I can use the whole drive cause I have tons of CDs I need to rip. I figure you might have some insight since we use almost the same Motherboards. Thanks

My guess there is to update the SuSE tools. If it is just SuSE reading it wrong, and the bios is reading the drive correctly, then SuSE has a problem.

What tool did you use to partition the drive?

I dunno... it's a partitions that I've had for a few years now... I can't remember what utility... I thik it was what ever came with Mandrake 9.0.. Using the madrake control center it shows the drive mounted with the partition spanning the whole drive...