Mandy 10, best version so far

spiedra

I have to say, installed Mandy 10 last week finally. I love it. I have to say this is the most stable, best version of Mandrake so far, out of the box. Everything works. Even Kazaa using Apollon. Kudos to Mandrake! They've certainly answered their critics and as confusing as the release scheme is, it has paid off and resulted in an excellent distro. Thanks Mandrake!

I got 10.0 CE...got tired of waiting literally 10-20 minutes for FIREFOX to load up...and finally dumped it.

Far too slow for my needs...9.2 runs as well and fast as win98 used to on this comp...10.0...well, I've never seen a comp run that slow...seriously, I've seen Apple IIEs, and I've run Black and White on a comp with 64MB SD-Ram, but even that was faster than 10.0...and I personally don't notice any difference. I mean, I didn't mess around with it much, but to me it seemed almost identicle to 9.2 (except crashing a lot more because it was only CE)

Well Mandy 10 official should be more stable then CE. and overall it seems faster to ne. One thing I notice though is that KDE is slower, but I think that is a KDE issue, not a Mandrake issue, but I use Fluxbox anyway so no big deal.

• 3 weeks later...
I got 10.0 CE...got tired of waiting literally 10-20 minutes for FIREFOX to load up...and finally dumped it.

Far too slow for my needs...9.2 runs as well and fast as win98 used to on this comp...10.0...well, I've never seen a comp run that slow...seriously, I've seen Apple IIEs, and I've run Black and White on a comp with 64MB SD-Ram, but even that was faster than 10.0...and I personally don't notice any difference. I mean, I didn't mess around with it much, but to me it seemed almost identicle to 9.2 (except crashing a lot more because it was only CE)

I recommend you try Official. It fixes ALOT of the problems with the community edition.

but to me it seemed almost identicle to 9.2

oh dear... *shakes head*

did you look at the Mandrake Control Center? completely revamped it's design...and you do of course realize that, really, MCC (plus urpmi, the installer, etc) is the only thing mandrake does themselves, right? That all they can do aside from that is rearrange the menu's and make a different theme (which I believe they slightly modified Galaxy), right?

Looks aren't everything...there were a lot of pieces of software that were upgraded from 9.2 to 10.0, not to mention kernel 2.6 (but that's just small stuff...)

but hey, if it looks like 9.2, it must not be any different!

:juggle:

seriously folks, dont judge a book by it's cover, and certainly don't judge it by it's not-fully-edited version. Get OE.

I like the 2.6.x kernel changes, and I like the new gui controls. But, as is typical of x.0 releases, I find it "oddly" buggy. I am looking forward to 10.1. I still have no sound in kde, unless I am playing cards in pysol, or playing RTCW. Then sound is fine.

I find it hilirious that someone dumped Mandrake10-OE because Firefox took 10 or so minutes to load.

Since when was Firefox a part of Mandrake10 ??? It certainly was not on my CDROM set of 4 disks. I would have thought it would have made more sense to find out why Firefox dragged its feet. I am using Firefox 9.3 with Mandrake 10-OE and it loads in about 4 or 5 seconds so what is your excuse ?? I have not done any tweaks because I would not know how to do them anyway.

Mandrake10-OE is without doubt the best Mandrake ever and I HAVE HAD NO SOCALLED BUGS since I started using it months ago. I have also put it on two friends computers and they also have had no trouble. For both of them it was their first experience with Linux and they love it. They hardly ever use their Windows now.

lxthusdan, there seems to be something strange about the fact that you still cannot get sound.

It must be your hardware, either on board sound or sound card. I just cannot believe it is a fault in Mandrake. The fact that it may also work in Windows or any other OS doesn't mean a thing as you know. (you have helped others for a very long time so I know you have more than many peoples experience)

How about PMing me and give me a detailed rundown of the gear you are using and a step by step list of what you have done so far. Keep it non technical and it can be as long winded as you like (in fact preferred) then maybe I can suggest a few things you could try.

Who knows we may come up with a solution together and if we do then we can post the results here for the benefit of others.

That's good idea I reckon John.

I reckon it's hardware myself. Not every pc is exactly the same. I've been using Mandrake since 8.1 and based on my Mandrake experience, this is the best version IMHO. In fact, I can't find any bugs in it of course after downloading all uodates, but even out of the box, no bugs. Only one I can think of would be using xmms under kde, but I don't use kde so it doesn't matter to me. My wife loves using it. She finds it so easy and trouble free, and very slick looking. She was a long time WIndows advocate, until Linux came along.

Edited by spiedra

I hate to agree, but I also think Mandrake is too slow for my needs. I've had 10.0, don't know which version anymore. Since it was.. free :)

Anyways, I don't like getting an OS which is totally configured by it's needs. When I installed Mandrake I got like 5 IRC clients, and 10 ICQ clients.. That's a bit overdoing it. Plus I totally missed a "emerge" or "aptget".

So that's when someone told me to get Gentoo. Which I am running a while now. I love it :)

Aussiejohn, I am not ignoring you, but I am very busy and find myself no time at work anymore! The sound problem I have has been posted twice, with no resolution. I did find that it occurs after the updates to kde are ran. I experiment with my stuff all the time. I have installed Mandy10 OE three times, with slightly different issues each time. That is another reason I believe that this is a typical .0 release. I have a sound blaster live sound card, which has always worked since 7.0. Windex, libranet, pclinux, and every other distro has not had a problem with the card. I think it is an issue wioth Mandrake customizations in kde. I also cannot get nvidia's latest driver to work, and the new 2.6.3-15mdk kernel has given me all sorts of weird kde init errors! I delete 12 -15 core dumps every day! I'll make a new post in hardware when I have time.

with my sound blaster audigy I had to go into MCC and change the driver it was using.

i got core dumps in MDK 10, even when using GNOME, and I wasn't able to trace them back to the root problem. I hope .1 will be an improvement, because while they're starting to do stuff right...they need to fix the bugs!

I hate to agree, but I also think Mandrake is too slow for my needs. I've had 10.0, don't know which version anymore. Since it was.. free :)

Anyways, I don't like getting an OS which is totally configured by it's needs. When I installed Mandrake I got like 5 IRC clients, and 10 ICQ clients.. That's a bit overdoing it. Plus I totally missed a "emerge" or "aptget".

So that's when someone told me to get Gentoo. Which I am running a while now. I love it :)

5 IRC clients and 10 ICQ clients? I don't think I have that many. But then, you can always choose to *not* install everything. ;) Linux is about *choice*, after all.

"emerge"? "aptget"? What's to miss? Urpmi is great! :D

For myself, Mandrake 10 is the distro that finally nudged me over the edge. I used to run Win2K, and boot into Linux to play around. Now I run Linux, and boot into Win2K as rarely as possible (it's been over 2 weeks now! :D)

Personally, I think Mandrake is the perfect distro to introduce Linux to people who are used in Windows. It is graphical enough, easy enough to install and configure, and filled to the brim with many applications and games that people usually don't need to download additional stuff.

Yeah, the price for ease of use is usually configurability and performance. But Mandrake is good enough to balance those two. If you want to configure by hand, you are still able to do so, but for many people, they just want things to be as easy as possible.

Well I was a Mandy evangelist until 9.1. That was the last one I installed. Then Debian Woody came out and I jumped on it. Ran it for a year and a half on my main box. But when 10.0 OE came out I gave it a shot. Had a spare partition to try on my debian machine. The difference from my 9.1 install was striking. The first time a promise of increased system speed was actually fulfilled. I had recently upgraded from my K6-2 450 to an Athlon 950 in Debian. Good performance boost (the 450 used to run the Mandy 9.1) So when I put 10.0 on the 950 what a difference. I do miss the apt-get. And urpmi is a bugger for me. And only downside is the module for my onboard sound won't initiailize the line in for recording (it works in the windows side) But I have everything else back. And updated packages as opposed to my debian box. Now the Debian box was pieced back together (the k6-2) with Debian and is in the living room and the main box now resides with 10.0. Very pleased. Though I'm back to resolving rpm dependency issues from time to time. And I can't get my WordPerfect 8 to install for lack of the compatiblity libs. But I can feel comfortable again recommending Mandy to possible converts.