Doom III hardware requirement

zero0w

id's Robert Duffy has updated his .plan with a huge post regarding Doom 3 system requirements. Covering what amount of VRAM you'll need for certain across-the-board video quality levels in the game, in addition to mentioning that Doom 3 is using Ogg Vorbis and a variety of other snippets of detail on RAM usage and such:

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/finger.pl...=20040726134608

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doom 3 is using Ogg Vorbis

w00t!

In Ultra quality, we load each texture; diffuse, specular, normal map at full resolution with no compression. In a typical DOOM 3 level, this can hover around a whopping 500MB of texture data. This will run on current hardware but obviously we cannot fit 500MB of texture data onto a 256MB card and the amount of texture data referenced in a give scene per frame ( 60 times a second ) can easily be 50MB+. This can cause some choppiness as a lot of memory bandwidth is being consumed. It does however look fantastic :-) and it is certainly playable on high end systems but due to the hitching that can occur we chose to require a 512MB Video card before setting this automatically.

And I thought that my 256MB Geforce FX was the shizniks... damn, now I want a 500MB just to see what that must look like!

Hehe. I can relate, SoulSe. :D

btw, we asked Duffy, and the "ultra" mode will be available no matter how much video memory you have--it's just not enabled by default on cards with less than 512MB and you'll have to hack the .cfg file.

Looking forward to the slide show on my 5800 / 128MB :D

-Sascha.rb

are there cards with 512MB?  i have found only very few...and they're fscking insanely priced.

Nope, no such cards are available (yet). ATI at least should ship some in Q4 2004, NV will probably, too.

NVIDIA's SLI won't help as logically, i.e. from the perspective of the application, API and OS, only the memory on "one card" is available. e.g. two 256MB boards in SLI = 256MB of VMemory. Reason is that both cards need the same data onboard to be able to work on the same frame; neither the SLI bridge nor PCI-Express are fast enough for one card to fetch stuff from the other's video memory, so SLI doesn't support it.

-Sascha.rb

NVIDIA's SLI won't help as logically, i.e. from the perspective of the application, API and OS, only the memory on "one card" is available. e.g. two 256MB boards in SLI = 256MB of VMemory. Reason is that both cards need the same data onboard to be able to work on the same frame; neither the SLI bridge nor PCI-Express are fast enough for one card to fetch stuff from the other's video memory, so SLI doesn't support it.

I remember back when 3dfx Vodoo2, dual SLI did provide higher resolution of 3D acceleration (2 x 8MB PCI Vodoo2, I believe), so I won't count it off so fast.

I think both cards would store the same texture, maybe.

But there are other information which are different on the dual configuration.

As for bandwidth in SLI, uncompressed data bandwidth is certainly not great.

But compressed data should be another story. I happen to think nVidia should have improved this technology for the time it has acquired it from 3dfx years ago - because PCI Express has greater bandwidth, the SLI should not be sitting ducks or risk useless in that regard.

As DOOM 3 release is approaching, here comes more detail on DOOM 3 hardware requirement, from the Official DOOM 3 [H]ardware Guide:

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0

This looks really promising for those of us with older cards, I think PC gamers got some "trickle down" benefits of the devs trying to shoe horn this game in to the limited video and system RAM of the Xbox.

Ive got a 128meg GF4 so Im looking forward to the slideshow too :D Might have to have a fiddle around with my fan bus, install a bigger HSF on the video card and clock her up a bit more.

Its really good what id are doing with the scalable graphics and all. This feature really worked in Far Cry (keeping my fps smooth and constant_ and I expect it to work for Doom3 as well, since Carmack has so much more experience.

Trust ID to develope for hardware that doesn't even exist yet!

What's confusing me is, how do you reliably test a game that runs on non-existant hardware? hehe...

Well, the good news is that most of us will get to play this title. To be honest, I'm not really worried about what a game looks like, I'm more concerned with gameplay, so I won't be shelling out for a 512MB card anytime soon - my FX 5700 is going to last me a long time.

Now all I need is an offical release date for the Linux port...

I played it last night (don't ask how) and it wasn't too smooth on a 3GHz P4 laptop with a 64MB GeForce GO. The guys whos lappie I played it on reckons he's got the jerks removed now.

Even on low detail settings it was very impressive!!