Doom III hardware requirement

zero0w

Todd Hollenshead, id's chief executive, said Doom 3 will require:

• A 1.5-gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 chip or AMD Athlon 1500.

• 384 megabytes of memory.

• Two gigabytes of hard drive space.

• An nVidia GeForce 3 graphics card or better; or an ATI Technologies 8500 or better.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/tech/weekly/2690450

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, no wonder why the local LAN Party station had to update all their stuff, they usally hold really big multiplayer games, like Half-life, Warcraft III etc.....and their computer play every game, now explains the big sudden change.

-Luis

Short addendum: That's what you need, minimum, to have all visual effects. Older video boards (as old as Geforce2 / Geforce4MX) seem to be supported, too, but won't have cube mapped reflections / highlights on top of the normal mapped model as well as no environmental bump mapping effects (which are few, it seems, anyway).

If you want to play DooM3 with surround sound, you really need a > 2GHz class CPU. DooM3 uses an own surround sound algorithm which relies solely on the CPU for mixing.

At least, that's what I'm told. ;) I should get my official copy in about ten days' time, will know more by then.

-Sascha.rb

Edited by nggalai

I also thought that the requirements would be steeper.

Now I'm relieved - my system is going to eat it!

I'll be relieved when I see it run on my hardware (other rig is an Athlon XP 2800+/1 gig DDR/Radeon 9600XT). It's kind of out of character for iD to not release a demo prior to retail launch, my question is simply are they chaning business practices or taking the route many devs take and hiding brutal system requirements? We'll see, although that said, I still have a lot of faith n iD.

There was a demo... not a biggy though and maybe it just wasn't publicised much. I spoke to a few dudes who played it though.

id never released a public demo of DooM3, not even magazines officially received any demos. Exception was Anandtech, who got a sneak preview via NVIDIA a while ago.

What was floating around was the leaked Alpha of last year's. This "demo" (as Anand's) is in no way comparable to the final game's performance or gameplay.

-Sascha.rb

I see... so the guys I spoke to were little punks then.

... unless they were official beta testers, of course. ;)

I hope id will release a Linux demo, too, not only a windows demo. The demo should be out shortly after the game's launched, which is somewhat a novelty for id.

-Sascha.rb