mount boot problem and nonworking login

orca

Hi guys,

I have just installed Mandrake 10 Official on my oldie desktop Pentium II PC, with only 68 MB RAM. My monitor is an LGStudioworks 55i on a video card Diamond SpeedStar A50. I have a dual boot system with Windows 98 and now Mandrake 10 (formerly SUSE 9.1, working all perfectly).

Well, in the beginning of the installation, the GUI told me that my system was low on resources and perhaps I should try installing on text mode only. Nevertheless, I went on and apparently it worked. However, during first boot, under Linux, there were some scrolling messages stating that

"Mounting file systems: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1, or too many mounted file systems [FAILED]"

After these initial messages, there splashed the login window, I tried to login, but then, there were three popup message windows:

1) "There was an error setting up inter-process communications in KDE. The message returned by the system was:

Could not read network connection list.

//.DCOPserver_localhost_0

Please check that the 'dcopserver' program is running!"

2) "Will not save configuration.

Configuration file "//.kde/share/config/kdeglobals" not writable.

Please contact your system administrator."

3) "The following installation problem was detected while trying to start KDE:

No write access to $HOME directory (/).

KDE is unable to start."

After that, I am returned to the login window...

Please any help in plain English is appreciated!

Cheers!

I had this problem as well with 10 CE, I got over it by reinstalling. I think that the problem was that I had selected KDE as the DE and then removed the KDE packages by hand at the package selection stage which meant I screwed up the startup script (but that is just a guess).

I guess you could use a rescue distro like Knoppix to remedy the error, but I found it easier to just reinstall since I had no data to lose.

Leo

Hi,

I have added some more RAM memory, totalling now 256 MB.

I have reinstalled Mandrake 10 from scratch, this time choosing to format all my second hard disk (dedicated only to Linux) under ext3. In my first try, I had left a previous /home partition intact, formatted as Reiser, and the installer had chosen to format the other partitions (/ adn /boot) as ext3. Perhaps it was getting confused with different file systems formats (???)

Now at least I am able to login and have an effective desktop area, under KDE; the problem remains that, under the initialization, there still is a message reading:

Mounting file systems: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1, or too mounted file systems [FAILED]

My first hard disk, which should be hda is dedicated to Windows 98; does it seem to have some problem???

Regards!