Battery monitor required

orca

Hi guys,

I am new here (as well); I hope you can bear my silly questions...

I have installed Mandrake Linux 10 on my Toshiba Satellite A25-S279. It works perfectly well, except for battery monitoring. I have (I guess) kernel 2.3.6-7. To try and fix this, I have entered, as root, Mandrake Control Center, then Boot, then Bootloader, and under Bootloader main options, checked Enable ACPI, checked Force No APIC and unchecked Force No Local APIC. I then checked that, under my default entry linux (/boot/vmlinuz), there is an Append line reading `noapic devfs=mount resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent. I accepted all this and left Mandrake Control Center.

Then under the KDE main (star) menu, I chose System, then Configuration, then KDE, then Power Control, and finally Laptop Battery; but the folllowing message appeared on the popup window: `Your computer seems to have a partial ACPI installation. ACPI was probably enabled, but some of the sub-options were not - you need to enable at least 'AC Adaptor' and 'Control Method Battery' and then rebuild your kernel'.

Well, I'm stuck. Do I have to really go to a new kernel to solve this? I remember using some days ago a Mandrake 9.1 Powerpack which seemed to have power management functional; well, at least I was able, by a similar procedure as above, to make a battery icon appear on the status bar and it once checked something like '32%'. If I do have to install a new kernel, can you give me some guidelines and/or links to how to proceed?

Well, any more specific and non-jargon help is extremely welcome!

Thank you guys!

Hi guys,

I solved it: I found a similar problem in a related topic here (which I unfortunately did not exactly write down), but the solution was:

1) install acpi and acpid, via (as root on the command line):

urpmi acpi acpid

2) then, under Mandrake Control Center -> Boot -> Bootloader, check Enable ACPI

3) then, under Mandrake Control Center -> System -> Services, uncheck On Boot from apm and apmd (if there is any) and check that acpi and acpid are on On Boot

Thanks anyhow!