Using kernel 2.4.x in Mandrake 10 OE

sambo

I've tried to use the Lilo boot option for using the 2.4.x (I can't remember the exact kernel, but it's 2.4.something) but as soon as I enter X the mouse doesn't work and all sorts of error messages pop-up on the screen.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Is the 2.4.x kernel even compatible with Mandrake 10 OE?

Thanks again folks!

It's not installed by default unless you selected *everything* or specifically selected the separate sources.

Usually, to install a *non-default* kernel, you would need to pass options to it during install with linux expert install.

Regards,

Armond

Ahhhhhhhh. I probably didn't do that then.

Is it possible to have more than one installed kernel (in my case 2.6.3-7 and 2.4.x) on the same system, that you can switch between at startup?

Is it fairly easy to set up?

I checked through my Mandrake software manager (or whatever it's called) and found that the 2.4 kernel was listed as being installed as well as the 2.6.3-7 kernel.

I have now removed it. Hopefully it will stop the random crashes.

:D Thanks for your help everyone!

• 1 month later...

Hello,

"You can also use the 2.4 kernel by selecting the LSB (Linux Standard Base?) as one of your packages when your installing MDK. "

I installed MDK without selecting LSB, how do I go back to install it (LSB) without installing all over again.

Thanks

KL

Hello,

I selected LSB when I installed MDK hoping that I should have at least 2.0.48.x and 2.6.x versions of kernel. What is the command to find out if two versions are in the system, and how do I replace 2.6.x with 2.0.48.x?

Thanks

VK