Solved

Linux Newbie

I installed j2re and j2re plugin, then created a sybolic link following MottS' guide to installing Java:

Now, in order to be able to use Java in browsers, such as Mozilla, Galeon, and so forth, you must complete these additional steps:

cd /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4/plugins/

If you got the J2RE, use this command:

ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.1_01/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so

subsituting "ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.1_01/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so" with the appropriate changes. The exact commands I issued were:

cd /usr/local/mozilla/plugins

pwd (which told me I was in the directory /usr/local/mozilla/plugins)

ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_05/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so

This command told me: "ln: `./libjavaplugin_oji.so': File exists"

So I opened up home, went up two steps so the location bar only said "file:/", clicked usr, then local, then mozilla, then plugins, and there were 2 icons there-- one was labled "libjavaplugin_oji.so" The other one is called libnullplugin.so. However, when I open the Mozilla browser and go to help-about plugins, there are no symbolic links. The terminal said I had already made the symbolic links, so how come they aren't there? When I go to the link in MottS' guide:

from M0ttS' original tutorial

4) Go HERE  to see if Java is enabled. Notice that you may have to restart your browser or even restart X (press CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE simultaneously) for it to work.

I restarted the browser and my computer, but when I clicked on the link, it didn't work.

So, basically, here's my problem: I installed j2re, the j2re plugin, created the symbolic links, but my java still doesn't work. Any help?

Edited by Linux Newbie

Hello,

Try to remove the old plug-in cd into the the mozilla plugins directory and type this in,

rm libjava*

This will remove all the java files, next re-install the libjava. Once again cd into the mozilla plugins directory. and do this

ln -s j2<hit tab>/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

Make sure that you have the Period at the end

Try to go to the website to test it and tell us the results, I hope this helps you

-Luis