[Request] Everything MS said about linux

aRTee

I'm working on a presentation I will do at work, and I may want to let some quotes scroll during the break (if any).

I have found quite a few interesting quotes of Linus, no problem there.

However, apart from the Ballmer quote that Linux/OSS is a cancer, I can't find too many 'speaking' quotes of MS on Linux/OSS.

What I'm looking for is basically those quotes that indicate how MS thinks about linux, and if possible in the vain of the Gandhi-esq: first they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

I would need some quotes to fit each section of this; with the name of the MS person who stated it and the year, if possible the full date, context and weblink, for example:

http://www.linux.org/news/2001/06/01/0003.html

Microsoft's Ballmer: "Linux is a cancer"

Date: Jun 01 2001

from a Chicago Sun-Times interview with Steve Ballmer, CEO of Microsoft

"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches."

Some other quotes that I don't know well enough to be able to find them with google are about linux being unamerican, communistic, Gates mentioning (in discussions with some Asian developing countries) that with FLOSS you willl have no IT industry but some farmers who will go home after work and hack some code; something about linux being just for nerds and hobbyists, nothing serious; etcetcetc...

short of pointing you at Eric raymond and Halloween MS has not really expressed much openly about linux, they prefer paying others to do it!

If you read Haloween they found it unproductive to actually attack linux (fairly) and so they are trying to subvert linux from inside and by hijacking standards linux relies on.

http://www.samsimpson.com/quotes/msquotes.php

http://www.wlug.org.nz/MicrosoftQuotes

Microsoft employee Vinod Vallopillil was quoted as saying that "Linux is a

best-of-breed UNIX..."

from http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/ker...901.2/0711.html

It would be a nice idea to find the contradiction quotes and then let them roll successively ;)

Edited by Darkelve

Thanks guys! Great work,...

I managed to find this one by myself:

"if your universities are doing work that can be commercialized, you will have IT jobs in your country. And if they are not, then fine, just say that farming is your thing, or whatever it is. All the taxes will be paid by those guys or something -- I don't know. And the farmers will go home at night and work on the source code.?

Bill Gates, Government Leaders' Conference, April 2002

Gowator, thanks, I had a look at those (again) to see if I could find anything. But they're too much analysis, not sharp enough. The quote above is already a bit too long....

Good read though.

I'll have a look at the other links now, thanks a lot!

Yep I think its a hard task you set yourself, I once tried myself and actually looked at the document i wrote for work.

Most of the comments really seem to be slips, almost pure hate... by people who have been bottled up and not allowed to attack linux (IMHO) so obviously a couple slip thru and people crack but the overall policy seems to be pretend it doesnt exist.

Lots of stuff is obviously anti-linux once you know but is worded so the average joe doesnt realise. Its extremely effective as a propoganda machine!

Good luck tho and lets see what you dig up!

Yes Gowator, I am truly amazed to see that it's near impossible to find any juicy quotes about Linux. Say if you compare that with e.g. SCO... it's a difference of day and night. Of course you could argue that M$ are paying people to say what they themselves cannot.

By thing like these, you can see they are scarily effictive in their internal and external communication.

Edited by Darkelve

Gates: "We've gone from little over 40 hours on average to 24 hours. With Linux, that would be a couple of weeks on average." 2003-10-15 (Same Interview: We invented personal computing.)

Bit off topic as well, but how about throwing in these little gems:

"The Internet? We are not interested in it" - Bill Gates, 1993

"Sometimes we do get taken by surprise. For example, when the Internet came along, we had it as a fifth or sixth priority." - Bill Gates, Jul, 1998

"We had planned to integrate a Web browser with our operating system as far back as 1993" - Microsoft (27 Jul 1998, filing its first court responses to federal antitrust)

"If you can't make it good, at least make it look good." - Bill Gates

"The next generation of interesting software will be made on a Macintosh, not an IBM PC." - Bill Gates, 1984

Wow, Bill Gates seems to be an orator on the same level of George Bush.

There should be a name for these, like Gateisms.

I agree that it would be fun to combine contradicting statements. Also point out that many of Microsoft's servers run Linux / Unix.

FUD by nature becomes silly if enough people commit to it :P

You could always slip into the presentation a couple of the BSOD and a few screans that read something like "You've been owned! From your friendly hackers in outer Mongolia."

"Brought to you by M$. Pay us now and Pay us later. Keeping more system admins employed the world over than anyone....ever."

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-5276901.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3906823.stm

We have alread won. M$ is just trying to ignore it in hopes that no one notices. The only problem with that is everyone is noticing but they just don't know the alternatives yet.

Governments around the world are insisting on linux. The US military loves it and if a company wants to stay in the game they better learn the new rules and play.

Probably can't use any of these ideas but heck I just wanted to spout off.