10.0 CE LG-CDROM Problem?

Guest jkruer01

Guest jkruer01

Hello Everyone,

When I was installing 9.2 on my home PC, I was bitten by the LG CD-ROM drive bug. However, I had not read anything about this problem with 10.0. Is it still a problem in 10.0 or has it been fixed?

Thanks!

The LG drive problem was fixed very quickly so your Lgdrive is safe to use in Mandrake 10.

Basicly what happened was that LG changed the commands for its drives. So when some distros of linux used the 'flush' command to clean out the onboard drive memory it actually 'flushed' all the memory on the drive. Including the hardwares firmware memory area. Thus rendering the drive totaly unusable untill it was reinstalled with the updates LG firmware.

All would have been fine if LG had not changed its command list or if they had at least told someone about it. Mandrake was the first but not the only distro this problem cropped up in. Basicly all the 'first adopters' in linux. Those distros that used old kernels because of stability and proven reliability didn't have the problem.

Just one of the things that crops up when you want to use the latest and greatest.