anti-virus

bigjohn

I'm already behind a hardware firewall (Netgear router) but would it still be beneficial for me to run a software firewall as well?

I don't think you'd be able to access the net if you had a software firewall running 'as well' as the harware 'wall of your Netgear.

I too run a Netgear modem/router/firewall and had some initial connection issues when I first set it up - I couldn't connect *at all* because I'd not managed to disable the mdk firewall. Once it was disbaled I achieved instant, problem free access.

You can use a hardware and software firewall combo, as long as it's configured correctly. I'm doing it on my windows machines. As far as Linux goes, I didn't have any problem with it. I had internet access as soon as I installed the OS. I don't think it automatically configured the firewall though, so maybe that's why I didn't have any problem there.

Any and all linux firewalls are all the same as phunni points out!

The differences are config tools etc.

config includes logging options ...

most HW routers use linux and IPTABLES too ...

the bottom line is the configurability and your needs...

With a linux one you can always adapt it, it might take some reading up but the option exists. With HW ones if its blocking aport you need and such then if the config options dont exist to change it your fsck'd

Unless you have a load of private stuff and have reaosn to think your a target it is reasonably safe to relax in linux...

there are lots of protection things you can do .. like create a user called webbrowser and always browse as this user...

you can prevent webbrowser seeing anything except its home dir.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm already behind a hardware firewall (Netgear router) but would it still be beneficial for me to run a software firewall as well?

I have a Zyxel router with a built-in firewall, and it never lets me down.. I used to have ZoneAlarm on my Windows pc, but no intrusion detection ever occured.