Screen adjustments

Guest Skywarp

Guest Skywarp

OK. I'm another Linux newb. I have one monitor that I use for two computers. One comp has Win XP and the other has Mandrake 10.0. The problem I have is that the screen position is slightly different under Linux. Both oper systems use the same screen resolution, bit depth, and refresh rate settings. I do not want to have to adjust the screen position everytime I switch between Windows and Linux. I can use xvidtune to adjust the screen position, but the settings don't stay when the comp is rebooted. I'm sure a config file needs adjusted, but which one and how? Thanks for your help.

I know what you're talking about, I used to have the same problem when i dual booted.

One solution is to use a different resolution. likely as not, the reason for the problem is that whatever resolution you're using is not the native resolution of the monitor. Native resolution is not nearly as big of a deal with a CRt as it is with an LCD, but it's still an issue. When you run a monitor at non-native resolution, even if it's a res that is supposed to be supported, the picture may be distroted in terms of size and position.

In linux, you can simply adjust the monitors own settings directly (ever wonder what all those litle buttons on the front of your monitor are for? lol) Of course, that's screw up windows.

Windows on the other hand, deals with it by automaticaly adjusting the image it creates to fit properly on your monitor if it's left properly centered and squared.

The problem comes in when you dual boot. And get your problem.

I found that the reason i had the problem was that i had not installed proper drivers for my nvidia card and once I had, the nvidia driver was able to handle the problem all by itself in linux just as it was already doing in windows.

option 2 is to try different resoluitons and refresh rates in linux untill you find the one that fits all by itself, the 'native' resolution for your monito. Wild guess, try 1024x768 and 800x600

You could also just stop using windows, I mean, realy, do you need it that bad?

someone else may be able to tell you how to make those settings stick, I never figureed out how. like I said, once I installed proper drivers for my nvidia, it centered itself, and then I stopped using windwos anyway.

You could also just stop using windows, I mean, realy, do you need it that bad?

That might be a good place to start, but it won't solve the problem. I have this issue when booting between slackware and Mdk too.

My "solution" is just move the screen into place each time

Guest Skywarp

Lol. Thanks for the advice. I can't get of rid of Windows just yet. I still have a lot to learn about Linux. So far I have enjoyed using it and learning. Thanks for the help. I sware that I saw somebody having the same problem in another forum and someone told that person how to adjust a config file to make the settings stick. I forgot where I saw the posting though. :wall: Anyone else that has a possible solution, please post a reply. Thanks all.