Asus and Linux

mdg

Hmm I generally agree with steve and aRTee but

4) Boycotting them will do no good. Linux users represent a very, very small percentage of any user-base. What needs to happen is for people to send them letters, call them, whatever, and tell them, "Hey, not only am I a Linux user, but because of this, I also tend to be the 'tech support' for all my Windows-using friends and I promise you that I will inform every one of them not to buy your products." or "Hey, I'm a Linux user and your product said that it works in Linux on the box and that is why I bought it. I will also recommend your products to my friends who use Windows."

Well we were looking at 5-6% but first we have to remove 4-5% from the 100% becuase Mac users dont count in this case.

Then I dont have proof but I bet a high proportion of linux users build there own boxes and an even higher proportion take a big interest in chipsets.

So it 'could' represent maybe 10% of consumer mobo purchases!

Then

on price... who would want onboard ethernet anyway.... its getting harder and harder to buy clean mobo's without built in crap ... NIC's are one I tolerate but graphics ... is just a recipee for disaster.

Onboard RAID is a waste of money... just look at the problems associated with it when it can be done in software. The only good RAID is real RAID and I see very few mobo based HW RAID controllers.... proper RAID controllers come with a nice cache and RISC processors.

but like the onboard graphics having it on the board is just a potential for problems...

(3) Lots of companies don't 'support' Linux and several of 'us' use their products. There are so many different distros that use so many different ways of doing things, if you were a hardware manufacturer, would you want to spend millions of dollars to train all your employees how to handle individual Linux distros? Do we boycott them all?

Well I have an XBOX and MS keyb but I guess we could all boycott MS hardware and they wouldnt give a ****

but other companies should.....

Ive said this again and again... but Roland hits it on the head!

We need to support those that do... write letters like aRTee saying how we are pleased.

When i get screwed over like netgear have to me I do completely boycot them....

I can honestly say Ill never buy another nethar product so long as I live until they make a public announcement to support linux.

Anyway ASUS are a special case.... Ive often said if companies USE linux in their product but Dont support linux then this to me is the lowest they can sink.

Asus used linux in their routers yet wont support it for their users!

Personally, Asus' stuff has become overpriced for their feature / quality. ...

Look at my comparison again between an Asus and a Chaintec. I'm confused as to how you can say that.

Becuase it depends what you want... from the feature list you give the only part which bothers me is an extra DIMM slot and the 2x USB... (4 would be better)

$29 is still $29 and if you dont want the extra features its a waste but mainly I think mobo sales are now based on more gimmicky stuff than real innovations.

I pretty much prefer a minimalistic board even if its the same price..

i must have 3-4 unused good quality soundcards and a couple of graphic cards and a whole box of 100Mbit ethernet cards...

My built in nforce on the shuttle drove me mad until MDK 10 (although it drove me to Debian) ... I just couldnt get 4GB support and the nforce drivers to compile agains the 4GBup kernel.

If I could have just pulled it out and replaced it I have 10x NIC's that would work.....

If I charged myself a dollar an hour for the time messing with the stupid nforce card it cost me hundreds of dollars!

If I had a dollar for every built in board that has ever caused me problems ...Id be retiring :D

(well not quite but you get the point)

Personally, Asus' stuff has become overpriced for their feature / quality. ...

Look at my comparison again between an Asus and a Chaintec. I'm confused as to how you can say that.

That's the price in the US. In Indonesia, a similarly configured Chaintech is about 80% the cost of Asus. The price of an Athlon 64 mobo like that could cost US$ 150 (since A64 is very rare in Indonesia, almost a year after Opteron was released and I have yet to see one A64 motherboard in Indonesia).

Cheap computer components in the US was the second reason why I regret going home to Indonesia.