64 bit linux vs windows trials

Gowator

Big deal... bleh

I have used xp 64 beta and upon discovering that none of my asus apps (cool n quiet, asus probe, ect...) would not install I bagged it for 32bit xp pro sp1, which has been doing quite nicely thus far. I have suse 9.1 pro, I paid for it for the 64bit dvd. I was really, REALLY dissapointed with it, it was a chore to get the os to install, and get my ethernet controller recognized, nvidia drivers were such a headache I bagged the 64 version all together. Yes I do have 90 days of "limited" support from suse, I called a few times and after dealing with there rude techs and answers like the 64 bit isnt compatible with this or that yet... I went to re-install the 32 bit version. Again I am disappointed with yast, I dont like the fact that suse is trying to mimic windows, and the drivers for nvidia took a while to get installed after dealing with kernel-source files and header files and a lack of "make" and the other cli tools I got right off the bat from Mandrake. I will say Im a linux n00b still, I have been a mandrake user since november when I bought 9.2. I loved it, it worked great and I learned so much about linux. Now I stay in wondows ALWAYS. I managed to get my machine doing all the things I want and set up just how I like it, something that has been a real headache in suse. I built this machine to dual boot, I want to play games and have a secure stable os.

What I have as of now is a fast machine that looks gorgeous, plays the games I want it to play and comes with all the instability and insecurity of microsoft. I want mandy 64 for my next try at linux on this box... after suse I know im not ready for gentoo or debian. I miss urpmi and mcc and all the things that made me like mandy so much on my old box. On a side note, mandy wont install on this machine for some reason... bleh

Update for all you asus/ athlon64 users, in order to install mandy 10, you have to disable support for legacy usb devices in the bios. Found that tidbit in the pclinuxos forums! back in mandy, got lilo back and I am happy... fianlly outta suse hell :thumbs: