new Xorg release in Mandrake 10.1?

neutron

Hi there

As a newbie who's using mandrake quit some time now I thought that it would be the right time to register to this forum. Mandrakeusers looks like a great community :thumbs:

But ontopic now: the xorg release team mentioned a release date for their newest version on the mailinglist . It has some really cool improvements, and I was curious if Mandrake will include it in their upcoming distribution (10.1).

Anybody got a clue???

First welcome to the board!!! This place seems to have all of your linux (and windows and mac and ....) answers.

Second, I belive xorg is currnetly in the cooker version and will be released with 10.1. Others can confirm that.

First welcome to the board!!!

Thanks!

Second, I belive xorg is currnetly in the cooker version and will be released with 10.1. Others can confirm that.

Apparently my question wasn't clear, sorry. I allready knew that Mandrake coverted from xf86 to xorg (just like everybody did :D ), but I was wondering if they are going to implement the NEW version (see link in my first post), which will probably released on august 25. I hope I made myself clear this time.

I really hope they'll use the new version but I will be difficult as 10.1 will be released somewhere in september...

According to the Mandrake Linux 10.1 Release Schedule the version freeze will occur on July 26, 2004. If the new X.org is released after this date, it is very unlikely that it will be added into Mandrake 10.1 - in fact I would be so bold as to say you won't see the new X.org in Mandrake 10.1, you probably won't see it in Mandrake until 10.2 - unless you get it from cooker or some outside source builds an RPM.

According to the Mandrake Linux 10.1 Release Schedule the version freeze will occur on July 26, 2004.  If the new X.org is released after this date, it is very unlikely that it will be added into Mandrake 10.1 - in fact I would be so bold as to say you won't see the new X.org in Mandrake 10.1, you probably won't see it in Mandrake until 10.2 - unless you get it from cooker or some outside source builds an RPM.

Just wanted ya'll to see that the time table for cooker is different than the regurgitated information on the PClinux site. According to the Mandrake Dev Community wiki the dates are different. Here is a link to the current and accurate information: http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/...andrakelinux101

Thnx for all the answers. Too bad the link that has a recent roadmap mentioned a 'new version freeze' on august the 5th. That means that there is no chance that the new version will appear in 10.1, pity...

Also, offtopic, but IMHO it's sad that they ship gnome 2.6 while 2.8 is almost done. I guess I'm spoiled :D

neutron:

you did read the we are not mandrakesoft disclaimer right!

but anyway for most of us the latest version is something we download using urpmi, if you havent tried yet then theres a FAQ in the FAQ section for this. DOH where else ???

So in answer, will it be on the Cd is probably no but will it be an update via urpmi probably... :D

So in answer, will it be on the Cd is probably no but will it be an update via urpmi probably... :D

Not from Mandrakes repos. When they freeze versions, that means both major and minor versions are frozen. Gnome 2.6 won't end up as 2.8 because of the version freeze. But you could get up to 2.6.9....

Same thing here. If it's a new major or minor version, Mandrake won't put it in 10.1. They only put in revisions after the version freeze.