Doom 3 to be released August 5th

tyme

Someone mentioned there will be a linux version released soon after, does anyone know if this linux client will be coming with a windows client or not?

Since Im yet to find out if windows or linux runs by graphics card better, Id rather not have to pay for two different versions and just buy one with both clients on it (ie. ut2004)

AFAIK it will work in the same way as other ID products: download the Linux port installer and then use the windows discs to install it, as with RTCW, Quake 3, etc.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a fine approach for people with broadband connections. For dialup users it sucks.

When I moved into my new place and had no connection at all, I was pleased to see that UT2004 included an installer on disc so I didn't have to download anything.

Much better approach - look at the confusion created by NWNs installers. Ids installers are fantastic though, but it would be great to get them in the box with the windows cds. Of course, they couldn't do that because the linux client isn't finished yet.

Priorities!

Someone mentioned there will be a linux version released soon after, does anyone know if this linux client will be coming with a windows client or not?

Since Im yet to find out if windows or linux runs by graphics card better, Id rather not have to pay for two different versions and just buy one with both clients on it (ie. ut2004)

You'll buy the PC version in the shop, and download the Linux client online. i.e. you get both.

-Sascha.rb

This is a fine approach for people with broadband connections. For dialup users it sucks.

I'm guessing tuxgames will be selling copies of the installer for all those that can't get it another way - just like they did for RTCW, I even got an installer CD free when I bought UT from them.

I'm guessing tuxgames will be selling copies of the installer for all those that can't get it another way - just like they did for RTCW, I even got an installer CD free when I bought UT from them.

Thank god for Tuxgames. :thumbs:

Can't wait to poop my pants when this title finally is available for Loonixers :devil:

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot wait to play Doom 3 I remember of when I was child I played Doom 2 in MS-DOS I remind that I was afraid of passing of the 5th level

But I think Doom 3 will be very weighed in my computer :P

Thats right, you buy the windows disc, and later there will be linux client to download to play the game.  There will not be a seperate boxed version!!

Oh well... I was gonna buy the game, or better, the linux version of the game to show support so other companies will take linux into account too, but with this approach of buying a window$ version of the game and then downloading the linux installer off the web Im better off saving my money and just downloading the installer, they wont be able to know wheter i really bought the game or not and my download will count me as a 'linux gamer' anyway, so whats the point on spending the money now? I dont really like that kind of games anyway, as i said, i just wanted to show linux support, i dont want to buy no window$ version no way. :furious3:

Thats right, you buy the windows disc, and later there will be linux client to download to play the game.  There will not be a seperate boxed version!!

Oh well... I was gonna buy the game, or better, the linux version of the game to show support so other companies will take linux into account too, but with this approach of buying a window$ version of the game and then downloading the linux installer off the web Im better off saving my money and just downloading the installer, they wont be able to know wheter i really bought the game or not and my download will count me as a 'linux gamer' anyway, so whats the point on spending the money now? I dont really like that kind of games anyway, as i said, i just wanted to show linux support, i dont want to buy no window$ version no way. :furious3:

That's not exactly a good attitude towards gaming, Linux or not. If you want, wait till tuxgames has their bundle and buy it then.

As an additional note, very few games that run in Linux actually come with the Linux installer on the disk. I can think of 3 off the top of my head. Most of them you will have to download an installer and/or copy files from a Windows installation. It's not that big of a deal. At least game manufacturers like Epic (UT) and id (Doom) are supporting Linux and providing installers. Most companies won't even do that...

Well Ive just been playing the game in Windows aaall last night, and i can tell you it is bloody scary! and f**king awesome!!! I couldnt wait for the linux version, just had to install on WXP.

Ive got a 1.8Ghz AMD, GF4 Ti4200 and it just runs on low quality settings at 640x480 rez. But damn its smooth

This game *is* the next evolution in gaming, they call it love ;)

I have a similar config to yours (except AMD 2.1 Ghz) and you tell me it's only smooth in 640x480 ? You seem to have the average "gamer" machine (like me) and I don't understand why it doesn't run smoothly at least in 800x600 :o

Like I said before, I've already played doom 3 in a "alpha" release. It wasn't really smooth, but I thought id would have improved their engine to make the game accessible to average gamers.

I have a similar config to yours (except AMD 2.1 Ghz) and you tell me it's only smooth in 640x480 ? You seem to have the average "gamer" machine (like me) and I don't understand why it doesn't run smoothly at least in 800x600  :o

Like I said before, I've already played doom 3 in a "alpha" release. It wasn't really smooth, but I thought id would have improved their engine to make the game accessible to average gamers.

this is simply because Doom 3 is sooo advanced, just think of how much calculation goes into all the lighting, graphics, physics and everything!

there are config tweaks who boost the performance off the game,

If you unpack the pk4 files, and you delete the pk4 files then, it will boost performance, but It will take longer to load a level.

And in cfg file, you have to put something to 256 (think its cachemem or something) and it will boost too !!!