Opinions on website design

tyme

My girlfriend is a Graphic Designer, and wanted a webpage. I offered up a portion of my server, got her a domain name, and set the whole deal up. I'm also designing the layout of the page.

At this moment there is no content, I'm still working on that, but I'd like opinions on the layout.

The site is: http://www.sheilakillian.com

Yes, I'm using tables because this site needs to look the same across various browsers. I've tested it in FireFox, Internet Explorer 6, and some version of IE for OSX. I don't know what version of IE for OSX it was, but it looked totally screwed up. I have no clue why. It looked perfect in FireFox and IE6.

Comments, suggestions appreciated. Thanks gang!

needs document typ and UTF envoding

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-15"?>
<!DOCTYPE
html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en">
 <head>

<title>my title</title>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-15"/>

<meta name="author" content="Paul Willard" />
   <meta name="copyright" content="© 2003 Paul Willard." />
   <meta name="reply-to" content="me9a0here.com" />
   <meta name="Description" content="blah blah blah" />

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://loudas.com/favicon.ico" />
   <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/main.css" media="screen"/>
   <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/menu.css" media="screen"/>
   <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/print.css" media="print"/>

</head>
<body>

thanks paul. i don't have any of that on any of my webpages. guess i should start adding it, uh?

problem...this:

seems to be translaed as PHP and is causing an error...

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in [path removed - contained usernames]/index.php on line 1

problem #2...this:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

makes the page look wrong :juggle:

perhaps i'm not being standards compliant :oops:

*runs off to check*

alright, there's way too many errors here. using that doctype, it doesn't like a whole list of attributes i'm using that are necessary for the page to look how it does...

alright, tomorrow I'm going to spend some time trying to make this XHTML compliant. for now, just look at the design and not the code :P

(why'd you have to go and make more work for me paul?)

problem...this:

seems to be translaed as PHP and is causing an error...

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in [path removed - contained usernames]/index.php on line 1

It'll cause problems any way you look at it. If WinIE doesn't see a DOCTYPE as the very first line in the file, it lapses into "quirks" mode, and you'll have a hard time making it look the same across browsers. Leave it out and with a good DOCTYPE WinIE will go into standards mode, and you'll have more luck getting the page to look good.

problem #2...this:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

makes the page look wrong :juggle:

perhaps i'm not being standards compliant :oops:

*runs off to check*

alright, there's way too many errors here. using that doctype, it doesn't like a whole list of attributes i'm using that are necessary for the page to look how it does...

The easy answer is that the attributes aren't necessary. You just think they are. It's not that hard to make a page look good across browsers without using tables, and the pages end up lighter and easier to maintain as well. All it takes is thought.

But since you're going to continue using those attributes, why use a DOCTYPE that doesn't allow them? Drop back to HTML 4.01 or something if you really want to build the page that way. Don't just drop a DOCTYPE in the file because it's cute; the DOCTYPE should reflect the version of (X)HTML you're using on the page.

Drop back to HTML 4.01 or something if you really want to build the page that way.

that's what i've done for the time being. for whatever reason, though, the redirect for the website isn't work anymore. the actual address is sheila.geektyme.org

i have to contact the redirect company...figure out what's going on.

It is possible to be XHTML1.1 compliant and use PHP

take a look at my site... some of the compliancy has slipped over time, but it is essentially, compliant, bringing up only a handful of errors.

Oh and btw, my opinion on the design..........

that shad of blue, the pale one, i could shoot you for using that. I hate it. It is ugly! Teal and colours close to it are hard to work with when you are designing something. Avoid them if you can.

The text up the top, the title is pretty plain too, do something with it, design something fancy and cool and put it across the top.

go here and be inspired. www.2advanced.com (you need flash) -- i kinda dont expect that from you, but their stuff is inspiring work!

Edited by iphitus

well one cool thing I dony know if its intentional tho is the 3D aspect of the shading changes.

The bottom is definately looking recessed (to me) whereas the top part looks embosse when viewed seperately.... kinda cool!

My 2c is that if you put the .com on the end of her name you should make it a proper URL.... (no spaces) so it could be cut/paste etc. even by morons who might wanna copy/paste the adress to mail to friends and end up with spaces

/anyway, back to the 3D aspect.. how about pulling out the 'S' Logo the same way ?

Also Im not generally keen on fixed length pages...

Fixed width is a necassary evil i guess but I feel cheated when the majority of my screen is left blank!

However this will depend on content I guess once you add some!

Looks good so far... but I would agree with iphitus here about the type. Needs some tweeking there (maybe some bold... maybe some script type). I would also do something about the page background and the content box having the same color.

As for the "S", I don't know about making that 3D... maybe just a small beveled edge might do the trick ???

anyways... good job. :D

the S logo is her own creation. it was originally an SVG. I won't be changing that, and I don't think she wants to.

This page is being passed on to someone else, I'm apparently too lazy and not doing it fast enough...