Big Problems with eVGA's e-GeForce FX5700LE, 256MB

sampsaltakis

Hey all, this is a long post, but tried to explain everything I did.

I've been having a really hard time getting my eVGA e-GeForce FX5700LE, 256MB DDR W/TV OUT , DVI, AGP to work with MDK 10.

I just built a new machine:

Motherboard: SY-KT600 DRAGON PLUS v.1.0 - VIA KT600 / 8237 Chipset

Processor: Athlon XP 2500+ 333Mhz FSB

GPU: eVGA e-GeForce FX5700LE, 256MB DDR W/TV OUT , DVI, AGP

Memory: Centon 512MB - 400Mhz DDR400 - Two (2)

Fresh clean install of MDK 10. During the install, the installer doesn't even see my graphics card. It always wants to default to "vesa" I can't even get it to use "nv".

Ran the install twice. Same thing. Anyway, I left the graphics driver to vesa driver, and boot to command prompt. Download and installed the latest nvida driver (no problem), vim'd the /etc/X11/XFree86-4 config file to match the readme file provided with the nvidia driver. Run startx and nothing. blank screen. :wall:

I'm lost. Please help.!!!!! :help:

BTW: had an older HP Pavillion 500n reformatted drive(removed winxp) and installed MDK10. Went out, bought and older cheap-cheap GeForce 400mx PCI (no agp on board). Installed it, downloaded nvidia driver, installed kernel modules, ran nvidia driver (installed perfectly). vim'd XFree86-4 to spec, startx..... WOW worked first time. happiest newbie in the world :cheesy::headbang: . Fragin online with Enemy Territory.. NICE!!!!!!

I would really love to frag with my new machine, cuz bought UT'04 and really, really, really want to play that.

Thanks All, sorry 'bout the long post

-SP

Hey all, this is a long post, but tried to explain everything I did.

I've been having a really hard time getting my eVGA e-GeForce FX5700LE, 256MB DDR W/TV OUT , DVI, AGP to work with MDK 10.

I just built a new machine:

Motherboard: SY-KT600 DRAGON PLUS v.1.0 - VIA KT600 / 8237 Chipset

Processor: Athlon XP 2500+ 333Mhz FSB

GPU: eVGA e-GeForce FX5700LE, 256MB DDR W/TV OUT , DVI, AGP

Memory: Centon 512MB - 400Mhz DDR400 - Two (2)

Fresh clean install of MDK 10.  During the install, the installer doesn't even see my graphics card. It always wants to default to "vesa" I can't even get it to use "nv".

Ran the install twice. Same thing. Anyway, I left the graphics driver to vesa driver, and boot to command prompt.  Download and installed the latest nvida driver (no problem), vim'd the /etc/X11/XFree86-4 config file to match the readme file provided with the nvidia driver.  Run startx and nothing. blank screen. :wall:

I'm lost. Please help.!!!!! :help:

BTW: had an older HP Pavillion 500n reformatted drive(removed winxp) and installed MDK10.  Went out, bought and older cheap-cheap GeForce 400mx PCI (no agp on board). Installed it, downloaded nvidia driver, installed kernel modules, ran nvidia driver (installed perfectly). vim'd XFree86-4 to spec, startx..... WOW worked first time.  happiest newbie in the world :cheesy:  :headbang: .  Fragin online with Enemy Territory.. NICE!!!!!!

I would really love to frag with my new machine, cuz bought UT'04 and really, really, really want to play that.

Thanks All, sorry 'bout the long post

-SP

The KT600 chipset isn't actively support by the nVidia driver, try adding ...

Option "NVAgp" "2"

to the device section of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, this forces the driver to use native Linux AGP/Gart drivers and ignore the nVidia AGP driver. Works for me.

If that doesn't do it we can take it further and check to see what device code/PnP I.D. that the driver is pickingup, but the card should be supported by the latest driver release.

Edited by xbob

Wow, you guys here don't mess around here, super fast post, Wow!! :thumbs:

In the "Module" Section below I remove the "#"'s

Section "Module"

Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension

Load "v4l" # Video for Linux

Load "extmod"

Load "type1"

Load "freetype"

Load "glx" # 3D layer

#Load "dri" <- remove #

#Load "GLcore" <- remove #

And in the "Device" Section below I remove the "#"'s, also I replace the Driver "vesa" with Driver "nvidia", and still get the cannot load the GLcore module (EE)??

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

#BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE" <-remove #

Driver "vesa" <- replace with Driver "nvidia"

Option "DPMS"

#Option "NVAgp" "2" <-remove #

EndSection

Thanks,

-SP

Wow, you guys here don't mess around here, super fast post, Wow!! :thumbs:

In the "Module" Section below I remove the "#"'s

Section "Module"

Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension

Load "v4l" # Video for Linux

Load "extmod"

Load "type1"

Load "freetype"

Load "glx" # 3D layer

#Load "dri"  <- remove #

#Load "GLcore"  <- remove #

DON'T REMOVE #s HERE. Leave them as is!!!!!! :-(

And in the "Device" Section below I remove the "#"'s, also I replace the Driver "vesa" with Driver "nvidia",  and still get the cannot load the GLcore module (EE)??

Why not? Don't load it by force, the driver knows to load this module by itself.

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

#BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE" <-remove #

Driver "vesa" <- replace with Driver "nvidia"

Option "DPMS"

#Option "NVAgp" "2" <-remove #

EndSection

Thanks,

-SP

Nope,

Tried every combination of the above. nothing!!

Please. I really don't want to use this machine in Win XP only, I would really love to be all Linux.

BTW: I installed Suse 9.1 Personal. Same thing won't load the nvidia driver even when I force it to use the NVAgp - 2, 3 any and all combinations. I've been hackin (newbie, don't know if it's really hackin) for the last 3 hours. I'm really fried.

-SP

Do you have the Kernel Source installed? Not sure it really matters but at least it would be something to rule out.

I installed the driver without the kernel source, and it installed without a hitch.

BTW: had an older HP Pavillion 500n reformatted drive(removed winxp) and installed MDK10.  Went out, bought and older cheap-cheap GeForce 400mx PCI (no agp on board). Installed it, downloaded nvidia driver, installed kernel modules, ran nvidia driver (installed perfectly). vim'd XFree86-4 to spec, startx..... WOW worked first time.  happiest newbie in the world    .  Fragin online with Enemy Territory.. NICE!!!!!!

Remembered I had to install the kernel source for this install, so i figured it can't hurt. I urpm'd the kernel source 2.6.3-7 (matching whatever my kernel is, not the 2.4.ish) and reinstalled the driver.

I also installed Mesa thinkin maybe that would install some lib that I'm missing. but still no luck.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

-SP

Do you have the Kernel Source installed? Not sure it really matters but at least it would be something to rule out.

I installed the driver without the kernel source, and it installed without a hitch.

BTW: had an older HP Pavillion 500n reformatted drive(removed winxp) and installed MDK10.  Went out, bought and older cheap-cheap GeForce 400mx PCI (no agp on board). Installed it, downloaded nvidia driver, installed kernel modules, ran nvidia driver (installed perfectly). vim'd XFree86-4 to spec, startx..... WOW worked first time.  happiest newbie in the world    .  Fragin online with Enemy Territory.. NICE!!!!!!

Remembered I had to install the kernel source for this install, so i figured it can't hurt. I urpm'd the kernel source 2.6.3-7 (matching whatever my kernel is, not the 2.4.ish) and reinstalled the driver.

I also installed Mesa thinkin maybe that would install some lib that I'm missing. but still no luck.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

-SP

It's kind of a slog but if you got to Appendix C of the nVIdia driver readme file it gives you a breakdown of what files "should" be present on your system and locations of a couple trouble makers. It's a tedious process, but at least it would let you rule out a bad driver install? Anyone else?

FYI:

Ran some commands, saved them to a text file and attached them to this post.

dmesg > dmesg.txt

dmesg.txt

Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
agpgart: Detected VIA KT400/KT400A/KT600 chipset
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 941M
agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000

lspci -v > lspci.txt

lspci.txt

00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8377 [KT400 AGP] Host Bridge (rev 80)
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8377 [KT400 AGP] Host Bridge
Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 8
Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
Capabilities: [80] AGP version 3.5
Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

I don't know if this helps at all!! :wall::screwy:

-SP