Laptop recommendation for Mandrake 10

Hi,

I'm in the market for a laptop that I would like to run solely Mandrake 10. I have typically bought computers from Dell in the past, but I had a problem with my current Dell and Linux where the SDLive! card was not supported. Plus, I'm not sure if I can buy a Dell with no OS preinstalled.

I am looking for a new laptop, and not one from a Mom-and-pop type place that would use cheap parts (I've had a bad experience in the past with that).

Any recommendations on where to find a quality laptop for Mandrake 10?

thanks!

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

You might want to look at an IBM T41... everyone raves about them with Linux.

Also, take a Mandrake Move, or PCLOS live CD to your neighborhood computer store and try to boot to a cd and see what happens. :P Knoppix is good too, but might not catch the Mandrake issues on HW detection.

I am running an Acer TM 803Lci and it took some tweaking, but I'm pretty happy. Have not had time to get my wireless going, but it is doable according to others.

Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Try to find something with a vid card other than ATI. ATI cards have very little support under Linux.

Hi,

I'm in the market for a laptop that I would like to run solely Mandrake 10.  I have typically bought computers from Dell in the past, but I had a problem with my current Dell and Linux where the SDLive! card was not supported.  Plus, I'm not sure if I can buy a Dell with no OS preinstalled.

I am looking for a new laptop, and not one from a Mom-and-pop type place that would use cheap parts (I've had a bad experience in the past with that). 

Any recommendations on where to find a quality laptop for Mandrake 10?

thanks!

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have an HP at home and it runs great just the problem that I have with the ATI video cards. But if you can get a video card that is nVidia ( which I'm pretty sure that HP has them ) it will be to your advantage, I think just about every HP hardware supports Linux and on top of that they are coming out with a Linux OS laptop soon. Also Acer I heard has really good laptops.

-Luis

One that I am considering is the HP ZD7000 has the 128MHz FX Go5700 Nvidia card so you know your 3d experince will be good, plus as a whole the laptop appears to be well supported in the Linux world

www.zd7000forums.com You'll see a "LINUX" section.