How to? LILO & BOOT splash theme

jmr0311

Hi guys, I have this questions for the wise in this forum, I did some search but everything I can come up with is related to slackware system and I don't know if those instructions apply to mandrake also. Never the less, the instructions are a little complicated to follow.

I read about a patch for your kernel that need to be compile but I was wondering if that is absolutely necessary. I believe the kernel i'm running is 2.6.3-7 MDK in my machine and I found this patch doing some google "bootsplash-3.1.4-2.6.3.diff" that is supposed to works with 2.6.3 and 2.6.4 kerne.

I download a few themes already from this web site " www.bootsplash.org " for the boot splash and from this web site " www.73lab.com " for the lilo splash but I don't feel comfortable yet doing this changes without the help of some of you guys. Looking for some help, thanks.

Javi

You only need linstalled lilo (and use it for the bootloader) and point the

message=/path/to/boot/message

in lilo.conf to one of the message files that you've download, to change the face of the lilo bootscreen.

But for the boot-splash, the recompiling patched-vanilla-kernel is mandatory, except you use the kernel from Mdk (since 9.2 and later I think). After recompiling you have to "attach" bootsplash-image to the initrd.

The http://www.bootsplash.org's instructions are comprehensive enough even for newbie like me.

• 7 months later...
You only need linstalled lilo (and use it for the bootloader) and point the

message=/path/to/boot/message

in lilo.conf to one of the message files that you've download, to change the face of the lilo bootscreen.

But what about if we want to make a *new* lilo message file? Do you know of any link?

Thanks in advance.

B) Lopo

If running Mandrake, this is a piece of cake.

su
urpmi bootsplash-themes-2.0.0-10mdk

Once installed, open up System --> Configuration --> Configure your computer, select Boot Theme and choose your favorite one.

All done.

the only thing you might need to do later is to run "lilo -v" in a terminal. and if you want custom pictures: just replace the old ones with new ones and give them the same name.

Thanks guys (and/or gals) but that is not what I need.

I already changed the Bootsplash and played around with it. I don't want to simple change LiLO splash and Bootsplash but remake them :D ;)

Bootsplash remaining prob

How to redefine the position of the elapsed bar (silent mode) or dimensions of the text window (verbose mode)? Ah! Without having to reboot each time I change values in CFG files

LilO Splash remaining prob

How to make a new MESSAGE file (using the old format & not using the new bitmap facility of lilo)?

Thnaks in advance.

B) Lopo