Libranet Flagship Edition Free Download

Darkelve

This easier than Lycoris, Xandors or Linspire? I am trying to find free really easy to use distros with no cli involved at all for some of my family members. I want to try and get them into linux.

Try MEPIS for your family members.

I might just do libranet. Interestingly, MEPIS uses some debian tools.

So is this a good distro to try? I have wanted to try Debian ( I know this isn't Debian only Debian Based), but didn't want to try to install it( seems like a pain to install -not as bad as Gentoo seems, but thats another thread). From what I've read it Libranet seems easy to install and run. Also, is this a full version? The site says "feel free to use this tria;l version for as long as you want" Does this make it CE version?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so i downloaded the distro, checked the checksum all ok there on both disk images.

then went to install it...... uh oh, no go.

no problem with mandrake, but libranet just did not want to boot from cd?

ok so i made the four!!! yes four boot floppies and proceeded to install.

ok so this worked and i started the install.

install went fine except i could not get the hardware 3d running at all even with xfree86 4.3 which comes with the distro.

why not? works with mandrake ok? by the way i was using an ati 128ragepro chipset graphics card (expert2000 from ati).

after messing around for some time and generally trying to get this distro working properly i eventually gave up and went back to mandrake.

i have to point out that i am a newbie and no-one should really take too much to heart what i say.

but compared to mandrake i found the installer just, well, old looking and feeling, it felt clumsy (compared to mandrake's installer).

i did manage to partition across two drives (2x 6gb) root swap and usr on one drive and tmp var and home on the other, with relative ease but other than that i was not very impressed with the installer at all, even if it did work.

I think overall libranet have done a reasonable job here but i think they could do a lot better for us noobs.

i have managed to get suse 6.2, mandrake 7.2, 8.0, 8.2, 9.2, and 10ce installed with no problems.

i have also tried storm which was a nightmare (for me anyway), and redhat 6 (i think).

i would place libranets installer roughly around the suse 6.2 release of yast!

anyway i suppose if i had used an nvidia graphics card i would be singing its praises but as it is i feel mandrake is the all round noobs best bet (well it is for me).

just one poor ole noobs opinion. :unsure:

I've tried it as well, and generally I did like it. I agree that the installer seems way old, not really finished.

I gave up for the moment because OpenOffice did not even work, and I could not get it installed with Synaptic. Thought I spent enough time on it. I think this distro has potential, but for the moment it is not near to where Mandrake is.

It clearly uses less resources then Mandrake does though, even in KDE.

Just my bat.

Ciao,

Sitor