Latest NVIDIA drivers + latest kernel 2.6.3-15

feralertx

Hi,

I have installed the latest kernel from mdk, 2.6.3-15 via urpmi -as I usually do-. When i rebooted i was prompted with the error message about the graphics driver and all, so i logged in as root in text mode and installed the latest nvidia drivers (1.0-6106) I had downloaded days ago. So i run the ndivia file and this message comes up:

WARNING:

Your kernel was configured to include rivafb support as a loadable kernel mudule. The rivafb driver conflicts with the NVIDIA friver; the NVIDIA kernel module will still be built and installed, but be aware that the NDIVIA driver will not be able to function properly if the rivafb module is loaded!

So I just ignored the message and the driver installed fine, but now im having some issues. It logs fine into kde and all, no problems there, but the machine will freeze if i start a tv program (zapping is the one i use).

I'm using MDK 9.2 and never had this problem with the previous kernel and driver versions (2.6.3-14 and nvidia driver 1.0-5336).

Anybody else having this problem with 2.6.3-15 and latest nvidia driver? Any clue how to get around it? Thanks a lot for all possible responses. :help:

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Did you remove all references to the old kernel source? The nvidia driver installer has trouble telling which source you want to use and for me at least recompiled using the old kernel source.

Yeah i think i did, and the 'Remove software' section of the MCC doesnt show any other kernel source installed rather than 2.6.3-15. And now i remember that the installer did mention something about removing the old driver installed before installing the newest one, but i think it does that eveytime you wanna install the driver becuase of a new kernel...

I don't have that problem with the same combination, but then, I don't use the TV output.

Have you checked your X config? (either xorg.conf or XF86Config-4?) IIRC they changed some of the settings between drivers.

What's your Xinerama status? Enabled or disabled?

-Sascha.rb

I don't have that problem with the same combination, but then, I don't use the TV output.

I dont use TV output either. I only got my monitor attached to the graphics card as always has been.

Have you checked your X config? (either xorg.conf or XF86Config-4?) IIRC they changed some of the settings between drivers.

I havent checked any files, the only thing i did was, first installed the newest 2.6.3-15 kernel and then upon reboot install the latest nvidia drivers. As i had the previous NVIDIA drivers installed i didnt see the need to edit XF86Config-4, do i need to do anything? If so, what should i look for?

What's your Xinerama status? Enabled or disabled?

:oops: Ehmm, uhmm, Xinerama... ehem.. Whats that?? :D

Thanks people!

i've had the same "rivafb" message while installing Nvidia drivers with every 2.6 kernel in 10.0. i just ignore them & continue with the install & have no problems.

i'm pretty sure this has been mentioned elsewhere, but there are several options you can add to your "device" section in XF86Config-4. see below.......

Section "Device"
   Identifier "device1"
   VendorName "NVidia"
   BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"
   Driver "nvidia"
   Option "DPMS"
   Option "NvAGP" "3"
   Option "NoLogo" "1"

i have mine set at "3" which tells it to use kernel AGP support first, then Nvidia AGP if the kernel version doesn't work. other numerical options you can use are.........

"0" (no AGP)

"1" (nvidia AGP only)

"2" (kernel AGP only)

try different settings there & see if the freeze ups stop. you don't need to exit X to add these options. just edit your XF86Config-4 file with any text editor, then restart X for changes to take affect.

Chris

Edited by chris z

Hi,

I tried adding the line <Option "NvAGP" "3"> -it didnt exist before- but to no avail.

So I have installed the previous NVIDIA driver with 2.3.6-15, and everything works flawslessly again.

I think Im gonna leave it that way since Im in the process of moving to 10 OE -for which i have done another installation- and guess what, i have installed the latest nvidia + kernel 2.3.6-15 and it worked fine, I suffer no frezees in 10 OE, still a mistery what could have cause it on 9.2. :screwy:

Anyways, I just wanna thank everyone who tried to help.

Regards,

BTW, Who moved this over to the HARDWARE forum?? AFAIK, the kernel and drivers are software, arent they?

Edited by feralertx

• 1 month later...
Guest kurnosem

sorry for my english...

I have the same problem...

when starts de lilo, do you have the option "linux" instead "linux-xxxx"?

i can install the drivers but only for the linux version, when i try install in "linux-2.6.3mdk-p3...blablabla." i have the same problem...

My PC is a P4 2,4 HT and nvidia gforce 440

I have Mandrake 10 download edition and nvidia 1.611 linux drivers...

BTW, Who moved this over to the HARDWARE forum?? AFAIK, the kernel and drivers are software, arent they?

No, the kernel is mostly for hardware. In this case, I've never heard of a software videocard....have you? ;)

sorry for my english...

I have the same problem...

when starts de lilo, do you have the option "linux" instead "linux-xxxx"?

i can install the drivers but only for the linux version, when i try install in "linux-2.6.3mdk-p3...blablabla." i have the same problem...

did you do;

uname -r

and varify it points to your uname -r kernel?

/usr/src/linux

is a symlink to a

/usr/src/linux-<x.x.x version>