kde-icons on gnome desktop

arctic

I finally started to explore the gnome desktop, but hey... my kde-desktop icons (home-folder, dustbin,...) show up on the gnome 2.4 desktop.

Simple question: may i delete them (without losing the data of course) or is there any other way to hide'em in gnome? It looks kinda weird, having two dustbins and two "home" folders on my desk.

not even a chance to hide them?

well, i simply don't undertand the policy behind it. kde doesn't show my gnome-dustbin or gnome-home folder, so why must gnome show kde-idustbin and home-folder? this is weird...

:juggle:

i want only the dustbin and the home-folder on my gnome desktop, if this is possible.

Heh, you should have been around for the switch to kde3x/gtk2x.....now that was a nightmare.

okay, i wasn't around for that one, but trying to install kde 3.2 on suse 8.2 was enough of a nightmare for me. destroyed my box three times in two days. :cheesy:

aight, time for a not-quite-what-you-want-but-it'll-work-anyways answer

run gconf-editor

expand "apps", scroll down and expand "nautilus", then choose "icon_view"

on the right side you'll see a few names and values, we want "default zoom level"

it should say "standard". change this to "small", you'll notice the icons on your desktop will shrink. move everything you want to hide over to the far right of your screen. after you've moved them, change the key back to "standard".

like i said, this isn't -exactly- what you want. they're hidden, but still there. if you do an arrange icons these icons will come back into line with the others and you'll have to do this again. but it works, right? ;)

it's really the only solution since KDE and GNOME are sharing Desktop directories. I tried to find an option in gconf-editor to change the directory used to draw the desktop (aside from the "desktop is home dir" option - which isn't anywhere close to what you want) but was unsuccessful.

i also searched and didn't find anything... which is quite strange, because in other distros, the icons were always kept separate, like e.g. in suse or yoper. but things change and ... bah.. not so important anyways. :P