kernel / hardware Incompatibilities with 10.0

jerrytaff

My main computer is a XP2000+ using an MSi mobo and NVidia Geforce graphics. Sold by Time originally with mdk 8.2 I have kept it up to date. This has invariably involved complete reinstall rather than upgrade because of bugs.

I have had all sorts of problems with 10.0 official, many of which are now sorted, so I thought I'd share my experiences.

PS-2 mouse did not work during installation or after. This was NOT a XF86Config-4 problem, and it could be induced to work by unplugging and replugging it after a reboot.

The machine did not shut down, so I installed and enabled acpi. Big mistake. It shuts down OK, and it enabled me to use gkrellm to monitor temperatures and fan speeds but on reboot harddrake fails to recognise various bits of hardware from USB ethernet connector to giving flaky access to CDRW. Sound driver gets screwed up too. Worse, if I installed the NVIDIA proprietry drivers first, on enabling acpi, following reboot X failed to load, complaining against the Nvidia module. However, nv did not work either. I followed advice and got all the updates before trying a second time, same problems - but even worse!

I have discovered the hard way that the mouse issue is a KERNEL problem. Repeating the install with the alt1 option installs to Kernel 2.4-25 and that solves the problem during install and thereafter . It had to be a re-install; using the lilo menu to load the 2.4 kernel when install had been with 2.6 resulted in non-working sound.

So now I have installed Kernel 2.4-25 and disabled acpi. This gives a useable system, but I have to do my own power down and I cannot monitor temperatures - a pity because this machine tends to run very hot.

It seems pure and simple that the 2.6 Kernel shipped with Mandrake, and acpi are incompatible with my hardware. (or perhaps the problems are with my BIOS)

From what I can see, many of you are struggling with similar problems to me, I would be interested if my solution helps you.

Jeremy

Edited by jerrytaff

I agree that many issues arise with the 2.6.x kernel. But I have always turned off acpi. It has always been a problem in my various systems. Currently Mandrake has no sound, although MEPIS running the 2.6.5 kernel has sound. So there is an inconsistency in the issue among distros. I have no solutions that work the same every time. Therefore, the problems may manifest the same, but are different in orgin.