Installing Mandrake 10 with Dlink dfe-670txd --

Guest Daver

Guest Daver

Hello..

Its been a good while since I have done a Mandrake install on my laptop, decided since I had it dual booting to go ahead and get rid of windows and setup Mandrake 10 on my laptop solely. I decided to erase the entire disk. setup went fine and actually when I boot into the cd my PCMCIA D-Link dfe-670txd card comes up (lights up, etc when it says detecting PCMCIA) setup mandrake and everything seems fine, reboot and login hrmm.. my PCMCIA card isnt lit up like its on.. I check the web and find some posts that in /etc/pcmcia/config needs to have my card listed, welp.. its there and a bunch of other cards (I recall having to do this in I believe Mandrake 8)

So then I decided to reboot and look in Verbose mode to see if there is anything failing. PCMCIA turns on and says OK then Eth0 (my D-Link dfe-670txd) says pcnet_cs device appears to not be present. I do have a modem on this laptop but never use it, could this be part of the problem? or is there some specific way I need to enable it to detect PCMCIA cards? when I go into network to setup a new connection it does not see the card at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated I really dont want to have to downgrade or be forced to put windows on it...

Moved to laptops by Ixthusdan

Guest Daver

just throwing some more information in here as I have found it on the d-link support site it says DFE-670TXD tulip_cb.o not pcnet_cs which I have seen through various resources to call for pcnet_cs or tulib_cb.o which is it? anyone? and where can I change this to verify? in /etc/pcmcia/config ?

Probably in you /etc/modules.conf. The pcnet_cs is a driver. (so i guess it would be something like alias ethX pcnet_cs in modules.conf).

If you have that line you could try loading the driver manually by 'modprobe pcnet_cs' (as root)) and 'ifup ethX'.

Edited by devries

Guest Daver

welp tried that and still nothing, its like it doesnt see my card, but if I load the Mandrake CD the card comes right up, when I installed it it was fine and detected it and I setup the lan connection, now at boot it says it appears its not there delaying initialitization.. Don't know and I dont know much about linux so I am at a stand still

also it does not see the card at all when I go under system--> Configuration->KDE-> Information nothing there on PCMCIA

Edited by Daver

Guest Daver

hrm.. just tried that too, no go.. weird thing is with the install the card works fine..

I changed the modules.conf to point to xircom_tulip_cb as stated in that post. and nothing new still says in verbose mode that PCnet_CS device appears to not be present, delaying initilaztion

Guest Daver

ok.. I am at the point of reinstalling for the third time, one thing I see now is I have the cd in and the very first part of the cd where is says "Enabling PCMCIA Devices" then my Network Card lights up, in my installation of Mandrake this never occurs at all.. anyone know how I can get it to do the same thing once I am installed?

Guest Daver

ok.. figured it out and just posting incase someone ever has a similar problem.

I reinstalled thinking I must have dome something wrong..

network card still not detecting although it did in setup.

Went to shell and su as root

did

/etc/init.d/pcmcia stop

modprobe yenta_socket

/etc/init.d/pcmcia start

came right up. edite modules.preload and placed yenta_socket in there and all is good

• 2 months later...
Guest nuttervm

:thanks:

ok.. figured it out and just posting incase someone ever has a similar problem.

I reinstalled thinking I must have dome something wrong..

network card still not detecting although it did in setup.

Went to shell and su as root

did

/etc/init.d/pcmcia stop

modprobe yenta_socket

/etc/init.d/pcmcia start

came right up. edite modules.preload and placed yenta_socket in there and all is good

I just wanted to reply that his solution listed above worked for me but with with one exception. You're not supposed to edit modules.preload (afaik that file does not even exist). I edited /etc/modprobe.preload and added a new line with only 'yenta_socket' on it, rebooted and that fixed everything for me.

I have a Belkin 5020, otherwise known as a F5D5020-PCMCIA-Network-Card and this fix worked for me.