trouble installing mandrake 10

Guest korndragon

Guest korndragon

I recently downloaded the 3 cds of mandrake 10.0 and am having trouble installing it on an athlon xp 2000+ with 512mb ram, 10gb HD.

It just sits there on the screen with the blue "border lines" at the top and the bottom that says "welcome to mandrake linux 10.0 blah blah" and on the bottom if gives a couple choices (alt-F1, alt-F3, & alt-F4 for different screens)

I hit alt-F3 to view the logs and at the bottom where its stuck it says:

----------

Warning insmod failed (keybdev (null)(2))

AUTOMATIC: parameter cdrom for method means returning CDROM drive

have to insmod ide-cd

needs cdrom

needs ide-cd

----------

... :furious3: ...

What does this mean? How do i get it installed? The cdrom beiung used is a dual DVD-/+RW.. maybe try using a different cd rom?

First, did you md5sum the files prior to burning? Are you using a good media and a slow burn, like 16X or slower? The md5sum verifies the integrity of the download. A bad file will give bad results.

Guest korndragon

how do i get the md5sum of the file in windows xp?

I will also try burning at < 16x, i burned the cds at 52x, however i gave a copy to my friend and he had no problems at all installing it with the same burn at 52x.

I have tried multiple cd-roms, hard drives, ide cables, memory chips.. i even tried different keyboards LOL and nothing.

Edited by korndragon

Guest plaskittcm

Hi everyone. New here.

Anyway a friend of mine pointed out this forum and post. I have followed the steps.

*The checksum is fine.

*Tried the cd on another computer and it works fine.

*I even tried the same cd-rom drive in my computer

I am getting the same errors as above, and I'd really like to get Mandrake 10.0 working. Noting that I do have an IDE CD-ROM drive

What are the next steps/solution?

Thanks, chris

Edited by plaskittcm

painesy

Please start a new thread. But since its here already lets start at the begining.

What hardware are you running? Be as detailed as possible. Who knows it could be one thing that some one else already figured out that has the same hardware.

What error messages are you getting and when does the system stall or quit on you?

If you can use the text install since it gives better error reports than the GUI normally does.

Since you made sure the cd was burned from a good ISO and at a slow speed.

Try booting with all the usb hardware you can unplugged. It can be installed later.