newbie help with missing KDE apps

Guest neil

Guest neil

Hello,

I'm in some desperate need of help :)

I'm a complete newbie and have just installed Mandrake10. Basically I cannot find any gui based installation tools.

There is no 'Mandrake Control Center' in any of the start menus I can see, neither is there a 'packages' sub-menu of any of the menus and while 'rpm' works irpm does not exist.

Can someone point me in the direction of the Mandrake Control Center just in case it is installed but there is no menu item, or perhaps can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Many thanks.

Neil.

Edited by neil

Welcome...

Sounds to me like (and I have to guess since I can't see what you see) either things really went bad during the install... or your looking at some other desktop than KDE (did you try a right click to see if that brings up a menu... or try the "windows" key).

If you have a terminal or konsole window, try some of these commands:

mcc (Mandrake Control Center)

konqueror

kate

urpmi (was that a typo ?)

If these work, we can get things back in order quite easily. Might help to describe what you see in front of you in more detail

Guest neil

hello,

I have a KDE desktop and from the above list only konqueror works (from either the shell or the desktop). Which is what I'm using to browse. I'm sure I selected Mozilla to install but that is not in my /usr directory.

Basically from the start (or the windows key) menu I have in the all applications section:

office -> wordprocessors, etc

internet -> browsers, ftp, news, etc

multimedia -> sound, vision, graphics, etc

more applications -> dev, editors, games, docs

system -> config, terminals, archiving, file tools, monitoring

from system:

file tools -> find

configuration -> configure desktop, etc

And that is my desktop.

Neil.

Guest neil

Yes,sorry, it is there its just there is no 'software manager' section like in the version 9 screenshot I saw so I assumed from I was looking for something else. There are only options for modifying stuff like the keyboard, etc. here: accessibility, components, information, looknfeel,network,periperals,powercontrol,security,system,webbrowsing

Thanks for helping, I sound like a right spaz ;)

The last time I touched unix was about 18 years ago on a System-10 where the most advanced thing was playing cribbage.

Neil.

Edited by neil

Guest neil

Ok, I ran that command as root, the first message is

urpmi is not locking urpmi status area, good.

Then did loads of stuff and is either busy or stuck for the past 5 minutes in the option: update-menus[3914]: Running method: /etc/menu-methods/simplified/kde3

Are you saying I have a duff distribution? I got it from the linuxmandrake site from one of the mirrors yesterday. apart from these menus/files the only thing that doesn't work is totem (I played a wmv file, there was video but only white noise and it hung when it finished playing), but I just put that down to the software as I haven't a clue how to trace the fault so I'll try mplaye or something.

btw, as for urpmi, I tried looking in /usr/bin and /bin and it wasn't there and there wasn't a man entry for it either.

Neil.

Edited by neil

Hello,

I have fixed the problem. Thanks for helping out.

I reinstalled Mandrake and realised after close inspection what had happened. When I was pruning the list of applications down I had previously removed 'mpage' without realising this automatically removed all the rpm, drax, packing, etc software.

Question is though, why should a text to postscript converer uninstall all the computer management and rpm software? th esame thing happened when I tried to uninstall 'fortune' - it wanted to remove most of gnome. Again why should something that tells a fortune want to stop the entire Gnome desktop from being installed?