XMMS Freezes once I load an MP3

Guest CsHoSi

Guest CsHoSi

Hi, my first post here, been searching for a good mandrake board and this is definately the place.

I installed Mandrake 10.0 Official on my brother's machine to convert him from Windows.

Totem works fine but he wants a winamp-style player. I tried to install the version on the CD, xmms-1.2.9-4 but the player locks up or closes everytime I try to play an MP3 file. Ok, I thought it was similar to the ordeal I had to go through in Red Hat...

I search for a PLF version, none. I finally find a mandrake 10.0 rpm at http://norlug.org/~chipster/rpm_index/cat2. So I install libxmms1-1.2.10-2 and xmms-1.2.10 and open it up, try to play an MP3 and it does the same thing, crash as soon as I try to hit play.

Well, not to give up I try to compile from source which was a nightmare. I installed glibc-devel and gcc, no problem. However I need glib version 1.2.2 to satisfy conifugure. I can't find the Mandrake RPM for it so I download the source and try to compile it. I find I need autoconf and automake so I install the RPMS from the cd, along with libtools (not sure if I needed it, just saw on a forum).

Now I get this, those used to be all missing before I installed automake and autoconf, however it still thinks autoconf is missing. And it still errors because it can't guess the host type.

[root@ba180sx glib-1.2.2]# ./configure
loading cache ./config.cache
checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host type; you must specify one

Sorry to come here crying for help my first post, just a little frustrated. I don't want my brother to keep booting the windows partition for something little like this but it's important to him I see. It sucks because I hyped him up about linux in order for him to let me install Mandrake on his computer. I don't want to install another distro because of this, please help if you can. Everyone else seems to be able to use the Official xmms just fine. So if you can help me with the RPMs or building the source I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Corey

Edited by CsHoSi

There's some bug with command that is configured with xmms.

Go back and install the Mandrake RPM from the CD and then start xmms with terminal or konsole.

xmms

You should be able to play things normally from there. Then you could make your own desktop shortcut for this.

Guest CsHoSi

ahh if I only knew it was going to be that easy! Thanks so much.

I see now that the menu command was "soundwrapper xmms'. Without the soundwrapper part it works just fine, even the 1.2.10 release.

Thanks for setting me straight :thumbs:

it is even mor simple. you only have to change the sound-preferences in xmms from oss to alsa. no rpm-reinstall necessary. hmm.. actually, we had this topic so often, we should pin it. :)

Edited by arctic

Guest CsHoSi

Neither do I have alsa with xmms-1.2.10. And sorry, but "+xmms +crashes" and "+xmms +freezes" didn't return results for me. Now that I know it was the soundwrapper I searched accordingly and found a thread that described what the soundwrapper was for so I didn't have to ask!

I gathered that soundwrapper allows multiple sounds to be played from different applications if your sound card (or driver) doesn't support multi-channel audio.

Guest CsHoSi

So it freezes either way? Because I assume you tried just 'xmms' as scoopy suggested. Can you play MP3s alright with Totem Media Player?

Sorry, I'll have to let someone else take it from here...

It is version 1.2.9 which has the soundwrapper fault. Version 1.2.10 fixes that.

An RPM of XMMS ver.1.2.10 for Mandrake can easily be found on the internet at one of the contributor sites. Try Google and XMMS 1.2.10 and you will get a great number of sites. Below is just one of them that I just checked a few minutes ago.

http://norlug.org/~chipster/rpm_handler/ca...norlug.i586.rpm

( Thanks Chip Cuccio for your contribution to the Linux users of this world)

Cheers. John.

Xbob. Please tell us what you have actually tried.....in detail.

You have a problem and waiting for a new build down the road is not going to help you at all because the present xmms 1.2.10 is already a good working item. Most everybody else has xmms working OK so are you saying there is something wrong with xmms because YOU can't get it working ???

This is the reason we try to help people such as yourself when you have difficulties.

1. Have you installed an RPM of xmms 1.2.10 rather than a tar source form. ???

2. Have you opened Kmixer and made certain that the sound controls for Volume AND AND AND also PCM have been set to near full level and they have not been muted. If the greenish button or buttons are a dark green then they have been muted. click on them and they should become a light green.

The PCM one in particular is the one most often overlooked because most people do not know what it is.

3. When you right click in the middle of xmms, a menu pops up, select Options.......Preferences which brings up another panel . Look at "Output Plugin" and if it is not already set to ALSA then click on the button and select it from the drop down menu. Click APPLY then OK. from here on in you should be able to select some mp3 or Ogg-vorbis file and be able to hear music.

Try these procedures and tell us what resulted from each one. If after all this you still have no sound then we can work on some other ideas.

By the way, when you log into your account, do you hear an intro melody ?? just a Yes or a No please. This question is not relevent to logging into ROOT.

Like to hear from you.

John.

Xbob.  Please tell us what you have actually tried.....in detail.

You have a problem and waiting for a new build down the road is not going to help you at all because the present xmms 1.2.10 is already a good working item.  Most everybody else has xmms working OK so are you saying there is something wrong with xmms because YOU can't get it working ???

This is the reason we try to help people such as yourself when you have difficulties.

1.  Have you installed an RPM of xmms 1.2.10 rather than a tar source form.  ???

2.  Have you opened Kmixer and made certain that the sound controls for Volume AND  AND  AND also PCM have been set to near full level and they have not been muted.  If the greenish button or buttons are a dark green then they have been muted.  click on them and they should become a light green.

The PCM one in particular is the one most often overlooked because most people do not know what it is.

3.  When you right click in the middle of xmms, a menu pops up, select Options.......Preferences which brings up another panel .  Look at "Output Plugin"  and if it is not already set to ALSA then click on the button and select it from the drop down menu.  Click APPLY then OK. from here on in you should be able to select some mp3 or Ogg-vorbis file and be able to hear music.

Try these procedures and tell us what resulted from each one.  If after all this you still have no sound then we can work on some other ideas.

By the way, when you log into your account, do you hear an intro melody ?? just a Yes or a No please. This question is not relevent to logging into ROOT.

Like to hear from you.

John.

Oh yes, sound works on everything but XMMS, and MP3 playback works in several other players. KMix is tweaked pretty well and my sounds play for system events and games, and I'm actually impressed how good the sound on Quake III is. I don't have the Alsa option in XMMS, and I have done RPMs and source, tried the soundwrapper stuff, etc...

I don't think XMMS is broken because "I can't get it working" but because many people are havnig the same problem, and because it seems to only effect this one application performing one function I would have to call that a bug. I'm open to more suggestions, but it could just be a bug between my hardware and this one player. And I should state again, I have no mad love for WinAmp, which is clearly the joy of XMMS for some people, so it's not overly traumatic for me. But if you have any ideas, I love to tinker....

A thought just occurred to me. In XMMSs Preferences.......Audio plugins. What happens if you click on the line which reads MPEG layer 1/2/3 Player..etc ???

Does the Enable plugin button depress or is it still raised.???

The same question about Ogg Vorbis Player.

If not then you should depress the button after you click on the line to highlight it. and make sure to click Apply

A thought just occurred to me.  In XMMSs Preferences.......Audio plugins.    What happens if you click on the line which reads      MPEG layer 1/2/3 Player..etc ???

Does the Enable plugin button depress or is it still raised.??? 

The same question about Ogg Vorbis Player. 

If not then you should depress the button after you click on the line to highlight it.  and make sure to click Apply

I'll check that out John, thanks for the tip, that actually sounds promising (have to try later I'm stuck on a conference call with work to plan how we are going to respond to a big batch of MS patches being released over the next few days, man I love my Linux box).