The New WordPerfect for Linux?

io333

I know most of the planet doesn't even know what WP is, but those who actually type for a living (or used to) love it most. A few months ago there was a story floating around that WP was coming out with a new Linux version (last was 8.0 and terrible). The web site only says it's in beta. I emailed them but they didn't respond. Does anyone know anything?

The Corel website had this information when if first came out about 8 weeks ago. Try going again to their website.

They may be standing by ver. 8 for several more months (such as until Dec. but who knows?) because they want to see what kind of response they'll get before they make a decision.

Being the pessimist as I am (unfortunately), most Linux users probably are happy with StarOffice/OpenOffice or else are using Crossover Office, VMWare, or Win4Lin. With the latter two, you can install your Windows copy. I'm not sure if Crossover Office is compatible with Corel WordPerfect Suite or not.

My all time favorite Suite is Lotus Smartsuite, ver. 9.5. It's a crime that IBM still (and maybe never will) make a Linux version since they are really into Linux. Furthermore, they've neglected SmartSuite the last three years. I think recently they gave in and switched most of their organization from SmartSuite to MS Office.

What a shame!

Just my American two cents worth.

Richard L.

I have a friend (PhD professor now) who REFUSED to use anything except AmiPro, and continued to use it even on WinXP. It took years for her to even *try* the Lotus updated version she loved it so much.

What was neat about AmiPro was that it came on 8 floppies for Windows 3.1, yet still worked perfectly so many years later on WindowsXP (although it was limited to 8 character filenames in all caps!).

She likes the Lotus version fine, as apparently it was more or less the old AmiPro with longer file names plus add on junk she never uses.

In any case: for high speed production, I've never seen anything that was even *close* to WP. There's a reason legal secretaries use it. They type morning 'till night, non-stop, often 100wpm+ and don't want pretty fonts, formulas, or pictures -- just perfectly formatted text. I think the name of the word processor pretty much sums it up.

Being the pessimist as I am (unfortunately), most Linux users probably are happy with StarOffice/OpenOffice or else are using Crossover Office, VMWare, or Win4Lin. With the latter two, you can install your Windows copy. I'm not sure if Crossover Office is compatible with Corel WordPerfect Suite or not.

Dont forget the GNOME Office tools, Abiword, Gnumeric.... etc

I prefer them over OOo.

Unfortunately, the Gnome Office w.p. and spreadsheet haven't taken off like Ooo and StarOffice have.

Those, like you, who really like them are happy, just as I am with Lotus SmartSuite. There are also some who use KOffice, and now some are using what is called TrendMaker (I think that is the correct name) which is a for-profit Office Suite in Linux. One or two distros are pushing it.

But Ooo/StarOffice seems to be well ahead of the game in becoming the ubiquitous Linux Office Suite probably because of its exposure in all platforms: Windows, Linux, Solaris, Sparc, and even an attempt in Mac. Sun has done a good job in advertising/exposing it through PC Magazine, PC World ,etc.

It is probably also the most capable Linux Suite that is compatible with MS Office in the business world, and thus for this reason (an unfortunate reason but a necessity) will prevail.

Sadly,

Richard L.

I hope they do it, I am a Corel (specifically a WordPerfect fan) from way back. In fact, one of my earliest exposures to Linux was Corel Linux, ahhh, memories.... :thumbs:

I still have my Corel Linux box! It's a pity that didn't take off - was a decent attempt at a distro. I grew up with Wordperfect and my old man still refuses to use anything else.

I use Abiword and Gnumeric like iphitus. Abiword is the best Word processor for Linux IMHO.

I hope they do it, I am a Corel (specifically a WordPerfect fan) from way back. In fact, one of my earliest exposures to Linux was Corel Linux, ahhh, memories.... :thumbs:

I still have my Corel Linux box! It's a pity that didn't take off - was a decent attempt at a distro. I grew up with Wordperfect and my old man still refuses to use anything else.

I use Abiword and Gnumeric like iphitus. Abiword is the best Word processor for Linux IMHO.

Agreed! I thought the Corel distro was one of the best at the time it came out. Awful stuff happened though. Not only to WP. sheesh... I don't even want to start.

Agreed! I thought the Corel distro was one of the best at the time it came out. Awful stuff happened though. Not only to WP. sheesh... I don't even want to start.

Yeah, lets not go there :unsure:

But Corel Linux was one of the first distros to take steps in the direction of where Mandrake is today ie. a solid and friendly desktop distro.

It was also a similar plan to what Ximian are trying to do and could've made them lots of money.

Anyway, lets wait for the new WP and see if it's pitched right ;)

But Ooo/StarOffice seems to be well ahead of the game in becoming the ubiquitous Linux Office Suite probably because of its exposure in all platforms: Windows, Linux, Solaris, Sparc, and even an attempt in Mac. Sun has done a good job in advertising/exposing it through PC Magazine, PC World ,etc.

It is probably also the most capable Linux Suite that is compatible with MS Office in the business world, and thus for this reason (an unfortunate reason but a necessity) will prevail.

You talk like OOo and StarOffice are the same. They aren't, are they or am I just missing something?

StarOffice does have a few more features than OpenOffice. I'd say OpenOffice is about 90% the same as StarOffice. Only a few things are missing that may not be noticeable to the average user (except for the templates).

Corel Linux: the core team of Corel Linux became the Xandros team. It seemed Microsoft invested money to keep Corel from going bankrupt so that MS could prove to the U.S. Justice Dept. its MS Office wasn't a monopoly. At the same time, MS "pushed" Corel to get rid of its Linux division.

So fundamental parts of Corel Linux are in Xandros. (This has been discussed on the Xandros forum, where you can find more details)

Edited by lawsonrc

I looked into it. Basically it is using the old WP for Linux 8 and reworked with compatibility for newer systems. It's called a proof of concept I think is what they call it. It is going for $30 (last I checked) from the Corel site. Like listed above they are looking to see if there is adequate response to the offer before putting resources into developing a new linux native version. From what I've read if they do do it it will be a full linux app like the old v8 not the WP2K which was just the windows version run on top of a specialized version of wine. (Must have been real specialized because I've got WP2K on my Win98 partition and have never gotten it to work in my wine installs). Anyway it'd be nice to see happen since I can no longer install my old WP8 on the newer systems. I keep it installed in my Debian boxes but I've read (and haven't seen anyone contradict it) that the new libs in KDE 3.2 conflict with the backwards compatible libs needed by the WP8 installer. I'm going to check this this week to make sure. but I think $30 for just a compatibility layer on the old WP8 is a bit much. Maybe $15 or at most $20 for something that is years out of date and was free for a while. But I'd be hard pressed to put down the change for the full version since I've converted most of my old data to OpenOffice. and what I haven't I just pull up in my laptop (Debian).

P.S. having not been on the site for a little over a week, gotta say things look....um...interresting...Kinda miss the banner though.