Firefox 0.9

Ed the N00B

I switched over to Linux a couple of weeks ago and one of the main things I missed was being able to use the thumb buttons on my mouse to go 'back' and 'forward' in my web browser.

No doubt there's a way to set it up for any browser but I didn't get round to figuring it out.

Last night I upgraded my Firefox from 0.8 to 0.9 and joyfully found that the thumb buttons were suddenly working again!! :cheesy:

Just a quick tip for any ex-windoze users who's browser thumbs are being under-used! :P

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Quick question.

The best way to upgrade from 0.8 to 0.9 ?

I have 0.8 on both my Fedora and MDK install, and haven't dared to upgrade yet because I used forever to get mplayer/flash/java to work...

Someone else may well have the 'best' way, but here's what I did:

Download Firefox0.9.

Re-name old 'firefox' directory to 'firefox0.8'.

Install new Firefox thus creating new 'firefox' directory.

Running new version via the 'firefox' script, I was prompted to import bookmarks, cookies etc from old verison (or indeed any other Mozilla browser). This is the only reason this could really be called an upgrade rather than a fresh install I guess.

I re-installed Flash for the new browser which I haven't found to be too tricky but I haven't gotten round to other plug ins yet.

No doubt someone will now tell us that I could have done a proper upgrade much more simply! :P

I always just:

1. Export my bookmarks

2. Delete *ALL* of the old Firefox installation.

3. Install the new Firefox version.

4. Reimport my bookmarks

5. Reinstall all my extensions with freshest versions, themes, move buttons where i want them, etc.

This prevents all of the upgrading problems that everyone else has.

I'm pretty good at it now, it only takes me about 10 minutes.

When I downloaded the tar for 0.9 in my home directory and untarred it to a second folder, then ran it, it took over all my settings, including plugins from my 0.8. I didn't have to uninstall 0.8, nor import anything. It all happened automatically in MDK10 OE.

When I downloaded the tar for 0.9 in my home directory and untarred it to a second folder, then ran it, it took over all my settings, including plugins from my 0.8. I didn't have to uninstall 0.8, nor import anything. It all happened automatically in MDK10 OE.

I don't trust importers much. Too much experience. I prefer to do it from scratch when it only takes 10 min or so and then I *know* it's as stable as possible.

Hello io333 and lawsonrc and Ed the Noob. I have used all of your methods and never had any problems so I guess it is what one prefers. Isn't Linux wonderful for that.?...............choices.

Ed the Noob thanks for the info about the Mouse Thumb Button. I guess you have the Logitech Mouse that has two thumb buttons. I have the Logitech Dual laser Mouse and it only has the one thumb button.

I am now happily getting used to using the thumb button to GO Back and have made up my mind to get the new one with 2 thumb buttons since it is so damned handy. Thank you for the tip.

Cheers both

Edited by AussieJohn