Can't login! Help!

Guest wolfhook

Guest wolfhook

Mandrake 9.1

system can boot to the normal graphic login interface without problem

however, after input the password and press enter, it get back to graphic login interface again.

try to use ctrl alt f5 switch to text interface (192 login at the first line of screen), after input username and pwd, it get back to 192 login at the first line of screen.

What should I do?

thanks a lot!

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman - welcome to the board :)]

It looks like you have got your passwords stuffed up . Maybe you have got your Root Password and your Account Password mixed up. Have you tried swapping them over ??? In other words try using your Account password in Root and vice versa.

Cheers. John.

• 3 weeks later...

Another possibility is that you are typing your password in the wrong language! Don't laugh, it happened to me some time ago. I have both English and Hebrew language support, and had been wordprocessing in Hebrew prior to a crash of X. For some reason, the I was stuck in "hebrew mode" , and it wouldn't accept my password.

If I remember correctly, switching to a text console, I couldn't even enter my user name; but at least I could see that the charactrers being echoed were not the ones I was typing!

I can't remember how I resolved this. I suspect that I decided it was time to upgrade (from about 9.1 to 9.2).