[Mandrake 9.1] Please insert cd...

Mogiin

Sometimes I get a message that I must put the installation cd #1 or 2 in the cd-rom drive so it can install some software.

But before Mandrake 9.1 gives me that question it first checks both cd-roms (dvd and burner) and disk-drive for any media. The lights of those drives are turning on and off for a while , I think a minute or so). Then the question about "insert cd #1 or 2 is popping up.

Is it normal that Mandrake 9.1 first checks a while if there is any media in any cd-rom drives and disk-drive before it ask to insert cd #1 or 2???

Or is this a bug?

Edited by Mogiin

that's normal. it's checking to see if the cd is there before it asks you to put it in. if it is there, it won't ask you to put it in.

spinynorman: in this case it's normal behaviour, because it wants the cd...it's not trying to get updates from a server.

(in fact, I've never had it check the cdrom drives unless it wanted a cd)

the system always checks to see if the cd is already in the drive befre asking you to put it in the drive. would you rather it ask you to put it in even if it's already in there?

it's not a bug, it's -supposed- to do that.

depending on the cdrom drive, whether or not there's a cd in there, and the speed of the system - it's quite possible, yes.

Mogiin: if you have a broadband connection and this bothers you, I would suggest you add the main RPM directory to your urpmi sources and remove the cdrom drives. This will solve the problem, but may slowdown the process as it'll have to download the RPM first - and that depends on various speeds.

an example of the "main" RPM repository would be:

http://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distr.../Mandrake/RPMS/