terminal as desktop background - help

solarian

Hi there!

While once more meditating on the system process list in konsole (command: top)

I though that it would be cool if konsole (or any other terminal) could be put as a "wallpaper"

real, live fullscreened konsole as desktop background!

I'm running MDK 10 Official and prefer KDE when not working with heavy programs. So it would be nice if this background terminal could be put on KDE.

Has this already been done? If so, please share the knowledge :)

If no - I think it would be a cool feature to develop.

[moved from Tips & Tricks by spinynorman - welcome to the board :)]

solarian,

It can be done with Eterm quite easily or, for a bit more work (patching the source code) with aterm. Do a search on Google for your term of preference and "borderless transparency" (sans quotes) and you'll get what you're looking for. To make it consume the desktop, as it were, you have simply to issue a geometry flag from the command line.

Don't know if this is what you want but you can use konsole for that. Just remove menu, tab and scroll barr (first 3 items under settings). Then rightclick border and choose 'hide border'. Oh and before you hide the menu bar, under settings choose 'transperent konsole' and 'fullscreen'.

lol I hate these multimedia keyb. got them all as minimalistic/stripped down as I can.

still, thanx for your input all

it seems very compllicated. no, not what I was adviced, hell no, but making it as bvc said : "real_time background desktop"

well

if I could limit myself with just the computer stats (command: top) in konsole, then maybe there should be a program that writes the data from konsole to a generic .png or .gif that is set as desktop background. 1time/1sec . though it would probably eat all my processor resurces in a half an hour :devil:

There's a switch for Eterm that makes it so you wouldn't be able to focus on it. It would put it in the background, behind everything. Shortcut would look something like this:

Eterm -x -0 --trans --scrollbar=off --buttonbar 0 -q -e 'top'

That will make it completely transparent, force it to the background and you won't be able to focus on it, and run the top command. If you do that, you might want to use the -g switch as well. Here's the format:

-g XcoordxYcoord+height+width (height and width might be reversed, size is in pixels (I think))

The -q flag just stops it from accepting keyboard input. The mouse still knows there's a window in the way. e.g. I start it with the -q flag from another Eterm window and click my mouse on the new Eterm window and type whatever, the typing shows up in whatever window that had focus last (the Eterm window I launched it from). I can still grab the new Eterm window and move it around and trying to click on top of it or right cick does nothing, not even go through to the desktop, just as you would suspect.