How much SPAM do you get  

19 members have voted

1. 1. How much SPAM do you get

• None
    • <20 a week
    • from 20 to 100 a week
    • so much I cant count

OK and the important part....

I have a theory only WinBlows users get SPAM...from harvested addresses.

If you have a email account set up under windows i reckon its read and then you get tons of SPAM.

Ive noticed I get almost no SPAM and that I do get I bet I accidentally agreed to ... yet when I use my Dads Win machine and set the client I start getting SPAM on that account!

If you are 100% linux (at least for say a certain account then say so)

Incidentally I get maybe 10 per week but i think these are ones I signed up for and also being part of a yahoo heath group I get lots .... but in general hardly any?

My theory continues .... that organisations like SpamHaus are blowing this out of proportion. They told my ISP I had a Windows virus and got be kicked off a while ago until I promised to install a recommended anto virus program for windows??

I wonder if they are deliberatly targetting secure machines (since this was so obviously fictitous) so as to make it harder for us linux users to connect ... thus preventing virus and spam proof machines...

Is it just me or is the whhole thing outa propiortion??? For instance I get more junk mail and telesales than SPAM ??

I voted "so much I cant count" even though what I really want to say is "so much I don't bother to count".

My main cuplrit is my university provided email address. it's too easy to get a hold of those types of email addresses. All my other emails stay pretty much clean of spam (excluding yahoo which I don't even use anymore).

What about Lotus Notes on Windows NT? I get a few hundred spam mails on that each month!

Of course, my email address, IS on the internet (our corporate website).

On Yahoo! I only get a few Bulk mails (5 to 10 a week). With my provider (pop3) a few a week.

Edited by Darkelve

I didn't have that problem. Then again, my ISP (Roadrunner Cable) knows that I use Linux for the Internet, and also know that Linux users don't have these problems (being spam zombies and infested with virii, malware, worms, and trojans). They also know that Linux users don't need OS support, and if a connectivity problem shows up, it is not the user's computer (instant transfer to Level 1 Tech support - Tech in the Server Farm), cause the problem is either their equipment, or, somewhere else.

Kind of nice troubleshooting and not have to wade through tons of Windows questions.

Harvested email addies are either from OE addy books, or from websites (forums included)..

I'm 100% Linux and haven't had any spam yet - that's since October 2002. I only disclose my email address when absolutely necessary. The Windows home users I communicate with, only have dialup and use the internet infrequently. :)

thats my feeling to

my 10 per week are all Yahoo my ISP account i dont use and my home email has never had a SPAM!

To be fair yahoo catch 90% of the SPAM in my bulk mail....

I think Sarissi hits it on the head with OE....

On forums I tend to hide my mail but I'm happy to give it out!

Like if any of you guys ask your welcome but posting it is asking to be harvested....

one worrying thing is it being harvested from someone elses add book , thanks spinynorman i hadnt thought of that!

Like darkelve I get some at work in Lotus Notes but its firstname.lastname@company.com and my name is in lots of professional listings etc. making it easy to guess but I also have a few I feel have been harvested through IE... at work. its hard to know, perhaps they were harvested from a professional contact who uses OE ???

I wonder if by now the spammers haven't already found out the notation:

harvestthisaddress at funmail dot com

And rewritten their bots to be able to adapt to this

?

Edited by Darkelve

At home I'm 100% Linux and I receive less than 5 spam/viruses a week.

I had 0 spam/viruses for 2 years until I lended my e-mail address to my wife. She's part of a pupils's parent organization and gave it to some colleagues, all Windows and really basic users. The next week I had almost 40 spam/viruses :o

It slowed down since but I couldn't completely get ride of that.

At work, spam/virus are around 100 a week. The ICS server is Linux but the clients are Windows.

It was worse before we changed our isp.

We have our own name and our registar redirect this name to an other name at our current isp. The surprising thing is that when we changed of isp around a year ago, when we changed the redirection at our registar to the new isp, the number of viruses/spam was divided by four.???

I've registered all my email addys under winblows...hotmail I get a lotta spam, netscape I started getting a bit, fastmail and gmail I never got any yet...I think it all just depends on what email service you're using...

Maybe linux users tend to get less because they know more about comps and are more careful?

I use RoadRunner and get nothing on that email account. Heck I never even look at it. The last time I tried I had forgot the password and had to call to get it.

And it is true. When you say linux to them they just pass you on to the people who know. They don't even question if you still use windows. But the nice lady asked if linux ran well on RR and I told her it was just peachy.

But no I had no span in that email box.

I've had the same netscape email for 6 years and thats the one I use now. I don't get anything strange, just the normal bulk mail stuff from places I've signed up for. Like here. Less than 4 a day from them.

I laugh at my friends who use windows and need to delete scores of junk each day.

OK but Paul is that targetted SPAM ???

Is it to the ICAN registered postmaster?

not that it makes it better just Im trying to work out if the best thing MS could do to stop SPAM is get rid of OE and exchange followed by IE ???

I dont like the 'forced agreement' spam like realplayer.... sure its free as in $ but you have to give your email etc. Im wondering if they then sell it or even get hacked themselves.

The differences are amazing tho...

Im thinking of setting myself up a few hundred oneshot emails but all aliased to a single SPAM account for signup to realplayer etc. then you can trace who leaks it from the reply address.

Im pretty much like Pzatch, I get bulk mail from places I have signed up for but practically no more. Im not paranoid either i just dont go posting my name all over the web... I dont even remember my ISP email password....

So I can understand Paul getting stuff as the reigistered domain name holder but why such massive differneces between us. I reckon tyme got it with the university... urza makes a good point tho about being more computer savvy but were talking vast differences here.

I think true harvested SPAM I might get 2 per week.... usually to increase the size of something or get prescription drugs from canada cheap!

maybe Im really asking for it doing this thread....oooh better go and check!

OK but Paul is that targetted SPAM ???

lots of sales@loudas info@loudas blah blah blah shit.

so I guess it is targeted.

prolly 20 messages a day offering domain name registration services