Monitors won't turn off, Mandrake 10.0 Official

io333

Every version of Mandrake I've ever used (since version 7) has never had a problem with APM. My current setup has seen Mandrake9.0, Mandrake 9.1, and Mandrake 10.0Community without any power management problems.

Since I freshly installed Mandrake 10.0 Official last week, I have no APM, or ACPI, or whatever it is that makes the darn monitors turn off. I don't really know too much about power management, because I've never had problems before, it just worked. I've been searching the web for days and trying various things without any results, so I'm ready to ask the question. How should I proceed?

My current setup is:

Shuttle AK31a/Athlon 2000+ (via chipset)

XFree86 version 4.3 (or whatever the latest was in 10.0Official)

Running Xinerama across two monitors, both Dell 1024HX

Whatever kernel was installed by default.

KDE with screensavers and monitor power management enabled in Desktop Configuration

ICEWM with xscreensaver

I've tried things like "modprobe ACPI" and turning on ACPI in LILO and some other little things, but I'm really banging my head against a wall at this point?

Is there any way to fix this problem easily without recompiling the kernel? I may have trouble doing kernel configuration, because I'm running on a small partition and may not have enough space to do it.

Any pointers, anything at all is so appreciated! I don't want to be forced to wait for Mandrake 10.1, or even worse, to reformat a larger partition and install the horror of Gentoo!

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman - welcome to the board :)]

Some other hardware, in case it matters:

Radeon VE (Radeon 7000)

AudioPCI

HP Scanjet 2100C

Brother HL1440 printer

Microsoft optical mouse

MicroInnovations generic PS/2 keyboard

Realtek 8139

Mitsumi 4804 burner

Generic 56k external serial modem

All of the hardware worked (more or less) out of the box install. The modem needed some hand tweaking, and the printer output also needed some tweaking to line up the page. Other than that, install with Mandrake is an incredible breeze, which is why I don't bother with Gentoo anymore. Impressive!

Well I see I've been moved to hardware, which has less traffic. I can see how you might decide this is a hardware issue, but i'm using pretty generic stuff and the problem was the APM did not install with 10.0Off, whereas every other version of linux installs APM just fine. I don't understand why this is not mostly an installation issue? I'm asking how to install APM.

Thanks. We are definitely not alone. I've seen this question posted at least five other times in other places, including usenet. No one has come up with an answer though.

My research to date has come up with the following solution:

The kernal probably has to be recompiled with the APM option turned on. I'm hoping there is a way to just modprobe it in and have it work, because a kernel recompile, with my current limited disk space install, is a huge PITA. It would be just as easy for me to start from scratch with a different distro. Alternatively, it would be neat if there was some way to get a new working APM enabled kernel from MandrakeUpdate or something similar.

I really *love* my install the way it is now. It is *almost* perfect. I thought it *was* perfect, but then I noticed the darn monitors were staying on. Sigh, it's always something that throws me back over to XP, although right now I'm resisting the urge and just turning my monitors off with the power buttons.

Oh one other thing: I'm really glad to have found this board! I don't know why I never looked for it before. I guess I was always just content to solve all the problems myself, but I'm getting tired in my old age and just want the darn thing to work now.

If we can direct enough users over this way, I have a feeling that we can hash out almost *all* of the problems that Mandrake has been having over the years in short order.

Y'all will probably eventually notice that I can be bitchy though.

The last time I got all my Mandrake problems worked out they up and issued a newer version on me. In my drive for more eye candy and just plain curiosity I installed it. Well Man10 has fewer bugs thankfully and a bit more eyecandy so for me things are going well.

But thanks to you guys now I notice my monitor doesn't shut off before I hit the off button. Dang now I HAVE to try and fix it!!!

:D

Well I see I've been moved to hardware, which has less traffic.  I can see how you might decide this is a hardware issue, but i'm using pretty generic stuff and the problem was the APM did not install with 10.0Off, whereas every other version of linux installs APM just fine. I don't understand why this is not mostly an installation issue?  I'm asking how to install APM.

The Installing Mandrake forum is for problems encountered while installing the distro, not individual bits of software.

I wouldn't worry too much about traffic, I think most members use the 'view new posts' facility, where the forum name is less important than the title. People who like fixing hardware problems are going to search the hardware forum anyway.

If you find a topic is being overlooked, say after a couple of days, just post briefly in the same thread to get it back to the top of the pile. :)

If we can direct enough users over this way, I have a feeling that we can hash out almost *all* of the problems that Mandrake has been having over the years in short order.

It's a nice thought, but as you look around the board, you'll find that Mandrake don't appear to be listening to us. However, membership has been increasing significantly just lately, and we've a group of members looking at the Mandrake wizards - a major source of problems (see the Workbench forum) - so perhaps that will change... :unsure:

Y'all will probably eventually notice that I can be bitchy though.

We try to maintain a friendly atmosphere here, so hopefully that won't happen. :mellow:

On my Gentoo Laptop i run a mode called "laptop mode". I set my screen to tuen off via the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file. Its found in the ServerLayout section (at the bottom of the file). Here is mine:

Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier "layout1"

InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

InputDevice "Touchpad" "CorePointer"

InputDevice "RFmouse" "SendCoreEvents"

Screen "screen1"

Option "BlankTime" "5" # Blank the screen after 5 minutes (Fake)

Option "StandbyTime" "10" # Turn off screen after 10 minutes (DPMS)

Option "SuspendTime" "20" # Full suspend after 20 minutes

Option "OffTime" "30" # Turn off after half an hour

EndSection

open a terminal and as root do - and post the results of

chkconfig --list | grep apm

chkconfig --list | grep acpi or acpid (don't remember which or if both show up there :unsure:)

service -s | grep apm

service -s | grep acpi or acpid (don't remember which or if both show up there :unsure:)

and what is acpi=? is in your bootloader?

ht?

on?

off?

default is

acpi=ht

which is not good enough in most cases. Change it to

acpi=on

I know the default kernel for 10-OE was unusually buggy but I thought that was mostly for legacy_free bios laptops. Upgrade the kernel.

Edited by bvc

results:

------------------------------------------------------------------

[root@localhost a]# chkconfig --list | grep apm

[root@localhost a]# chkconfig --list |grep apm

[root@localhost a]# chkconfig --list |grep acpi

[root@localhost a]# service -s | grep apm

Usage: lsmod

[root@localhost a]# service -s | grep acpi

[root@localhost a]#

------------------------------------------------------------------

here is my lilo.conf:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

# File generated by DrakX/drakboot

# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this file

boot=/dev/hda

map=/boot/map

install=menu

default="263-7"

keytable=/boot/us.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=100

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux"

root=/dev/hdb1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount splash=silent"

vga=788

read-only

append "apm=on"

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux-nonfb"

root=/dev/hdb1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk

label="263-7"

root=/dev/hdb1

initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img

append="devfs=mount splash=silent"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="failsafe"

root=/dev/hdb1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="failsafe devfs=nomount"

read-only

other=/dev/hda1

label="windows"

table=/dev/hda

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Which kernel and from where? Is it something I can find in the Mandrake Control Center Software Updates? Or something I should use urpmi for? Or do I find one and compile it from scratch?

THANKS FOR REPLYING!!!!

On my Gentoo Laptop i run a mode called "laptop mode". I set my screen to tuen off via the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file. Its found in the ServerLayout section (at the bottom of the file). Here is mine:

Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier "layout1"

InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

InputDevice "Touchpad" "CorePointer"

InputDevice "RFmouse" "SendCoreEvents"

Screen "screen1"

Option "BlankTime" "5" # Blank the screen after 5 minutes (Fake)

Option "StandbyTime" "10" # Turn off screen after 10 minutes (DPMS)

Option "SuspendTime" "20" # Full suspend after 20 minutes

Option "OffTime" "30" # Turn off after half an hour

EndSection

OK, I'll try that too, although I don't see why it would work when xscreensaver or KDEscreensaver won't work.

I had an obvious typo in my lilo.conf, here is my latest try (I also tried the "acpi=on").

Neither worked. I always boot from the "263-7" selection, whatever the heck that means. I also *did* remember to type "lilo" after editing. Neither try worked. I'll update the kernel now and see if anything happens. Formatting is getting lost in this BBS, sorry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# File generated by DrakX/drakboot

# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this file

boot=/dev/hda

map=/boot/map

install=menu

default="263-7"

keytable=/boot/us.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=100

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw