Windows ME - virus??

Darkelve

Hi,

because I was installing FireFox and Thunderbird on my dads laptop, I decided to make some free space on the C:\ partition. It was around 90MB and after cleaning up temp directories, removing programs no longer used and moving data folders, I had 228MB free disk space.

However, with Windows Explorer (the file manager) open, I regularly pressed 'refresh', only to see the disk space go lower from 228MB to 202 MB to 182MB to 178MB to 172MB... In a mere 5 to 10 minutes.

What is this? Is it a virus; could be the case I guess. But we have Avast (free edition) installed so it should have detected something.

Or is the system somehow compromised (i.e. hacked).

We're not using Internet Explorer anymore, so it can't be the temp files (not that they would eat up HD space so fast anyway).

First thing I have done is to pull out the PCMIA card.

What to do now !?

It's probably the pagefile growing. pagefile=swap, there's a place where you can limit the amount of hard drive space that the pagefile can use.

right click on My Computer, choose Properties, go under the Advanced tab, Select "Performance Options" and change the virual memory size.

Tyme, I think you're right, I probably paniced to soon ... :confused:

It's all this virus hype there was during the last week(s). But it felt so strange seeing the values drop. Strangely enough disk space seems to have grown a bit... I'll try your suggestion though.

lol yeah, I had not thought about it, but I guess it's true in a sense :D

Windows is a virus!

Edited by Darkelve

I would like to say that windows is not a virus. Viruses although annoying show the work of dedicated programmers who put out a product that works. Windows on the otherhand puts out a product that doesn't even work half the time. Would anyone be aftraid of viruses if they often went "illegal function, please reboot virus and try again" No I say. So stop dissing all those dedicated hackers who produce fully functional programs.

are there actually any "dangerous' virusses for linux?

I just received one:

"DEAR RECEIVER,

You have just received an Albanian virus. Since we are not so

technologically advanced in Albania, this is a MANUAL virus.

Please delete all the files on your hard disk yourself and send

this mail to everyone you know.

Thank you very much for helping me.

Ole Hacker"

About as dangerous as they get! :lol2:

But seriously, I think I read there are only a dozen or so discovered yet, and if you are not root they are not even very dangerous...

Edit: http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host...ticle-8517.html

Edited by Darkelve