Gentoo, trying to install another kernel

Hi all, now I have gentoo installed and running with kde, using kernel 2.4.26-gentoo-r3, (the only one I could get with my lack of knowledge).

When I realized, upon trying to run firestarter, that I didn't build the kernel to enable iptables, so I emerged kernel-2.6.6 and compiled it as per the manual, and out of the blue, /boot/grub/grub.conf was GONE, all that was left in /boot was my 'new' kernel and System.map.

So I make a NEW /boot/grub/grub.conf and make it reflect both kernels. Reboot, and only the old kernel is listed, as if I hadn't done anything. It boots OK, but now sound is gone, (/dev/dsp is also AWOL).

lsmod shows no emu10k1, modprobe emu10k1 gives error and won't load.

Trying to (again) emerge emu10k1 gets message that "is only for 2.4 kernels".

uname -r shows kernel-2.4.26-gentoo-r3, the old kernel.

Now, the sound I can do without for now, but how the heck can I get access to that new kernel?

Thanks, I appreciate your help. By the way, to get this far took 4 days!

:wall:

You've been caught out with the same `feature' that gets loads of people. gentoo doesn't automatically mount /boot - thats why you couldn't see the other kernels. Try mount /boot, then copying your new kernel etc into it.

with the 2.6 series of kernels, for emu10k1 based cards, you'll want:

snd_emu10k1

for your sound driver. there's a post in the gentoo forums which explains what you need to do to have this module, but at the moment I can't remember :/

Thanks for the replies, I gave up on that 2.6.6 kernel, couldn't get nvidia to work and ran out of patience (it works fine with the 2.4.26)

For the sound, I recompiled the original kernel and now the sound works again...

Now I'm gonna try installing alsa.

As for the firewall not working because iptables, that is enabled in the kernel now, and I emerged the newest iptables, but firestarter still don't see iptables.

Looking through the gentoo forums, it seems like a common problem, I guess.

One thing I noticed about gentoo, it really boots fast!