Is my hard drive dead?

tyme

Is my hard drive dead?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Is my hard drive dead?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe...

Ok, so I have this system that was working fine in my apartment up at school. I transported it home to play use as a screw around system. You know, install some random OS play with it try to break it etc.

Well, I plugged it in and hadn't even tried to turn it on (the power supply switch was in the on position, never touched the power button on the case) when POP goes the power supply and some smoke rolls out the back. I've seen this before (capacitor blew off the board), it wasn't a big deal since I had an extra power supply or two lying around (believe me, it's a good idea to have one).

Anyways, hooked up the spare PS and tried to turn it on. No go. So I did the usual testing for goundouts and found that if I had the power cable plugged into the hard drive (as in, I was giving it power) the system wouldn't turn on. The cpu fan spins once real quick, but it doesn't power on.

My assumptions: most likely the hard drive was damaged when they PS blew, and now is causing the system to ground out. Fair assumption? Toss the drive?

It's nearly 3 or 4 years old now, is only a 20gb, so no major loss...just wondering if anyone else had any ideas

:juggle:

additional info

the power supply is 250 watts, it's an old 750mhz athlon t-bird system (slot A, not the socket!), there are 2 pci cards, the cdrom drive and the hard drive. plugging in a different hard drive doesn't cause this problem.

it probably is the driv, but I had to put maybe just because with that kind of power fault there are so many things that 'could' have been damaged.

By the way, isn't it 'slot 1' and not slot A?? thought it was slot 1 or socket A

By the way, isn't it 'slot 1' and not slot A?? thought it was slot 1 or socket A

AMD machines were "Slot A" whilst Intel machines were "Slot 1"

this is the motherboard I have in there.

you can with a steady hand usually unscrew the board off the bottom of the hdd and using a new board from another hdd (same model) get the drive working again. I know someone who had the same problem, they lost 3 drives in an array. Rather than lose the data he spent about $500 getting the exact models of some old parts site.