error message

AussieJohn

Hello all. I was asked by a man referred to me to install Mandrake 10 OE on his computer and to show him how to use it. It has a 10gb HDD running Win98SE. Easily repartitioned it using Partition Magic and checked that Windows was all aok and it was.

During the Mandy install, there is a quickly flashed error message which is too fast to read and then it goes into a text mode form of install which gets itself into a loop where it asks where to place / i.e.root.

Is there someway to pause or stop the procedure at the point where the error message is shown so that I can determine what the problem is ????. I have tried the PAUSE/BREAK keyboard button and all kinds of buttons but without success. I should add that I have disabled Plug&Play in the BIOS.

The system has a SIS-Trio.32/64 PCI Video card which I think may be the problem but I am only guessing here and won't be certain until I can read the error message. I am guessing this might be the reason it switches to a text install instead of the GUI form of install.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated because this fellow, who is about my age, is very keen to get into Mandrake and away from Windows because he cannot see anything in windows to keep him there once he learns how to use Mandrake.

Thanks in advance. John

The S3-Trio 32/64 card is a real problem with Mandrake (and other Linux versions as well). As far as i heared, the problem is that the manufacturer of this card won't disclose anything about the inner workings of it. They also refused to make antything else than windows drivers.

There are some (very buggy) drivers made for this card, but better to avoid these. I have never got a system to work with a card of this type. I have also encountered the strange problems you describe. Until now i don't have a workaround for it - sorry.

It is better to upgrade with another cheap card. There are some very cheap second-hand TNT2, GeForce2, Radeon 7000 etc. around. One of those will also improve performance under windows, because they are faster, and give the full color palette - which the S3 does not.

Sorry - i can't give a solution to this problem. Maybe someone else around here will?

Edited by JClosed

If the problem is with the S3 Trio card... I remember I was stuck using XFree86 3.3.6 while everyone else was moving to version 4. It worked fine for my purposes back in the MDK 8.0 days. Don't know about using with Mandrake 10.

There's a rpm available for these cards in /contribs.

Name: XFree86-S3

Version: 3.3.6-29mdk