Mandrake 10.0 and LILO options

Guest jeannique

Guest jeannique

I have posted before, but I wondered if anybody else has had a problem with Mandrake 10.0 not allowing you the option of installing LILO onto a floppy?

I know how to revert back to my original MBR, but is there an easy way to get LILO onto a floppy from within Mandrake 10.0 or from the rescue mode of the CD?

A method without reverting to command line would be good. I am very confused after searching on Yahoo and Google for this.

Many thanks.

Not too sure but I seem to recall that you'd need to have a floppy bootable version of the kernel.

Because if I look in my /boot the vmlinuz image, initrd and some other associated files come to a lot more than 1.4 meg's (the vmlinuz alone is 1.4 meg's).

Bearing in mind that a floppy capacity is only 1.4 meg's.

Have you tried making a boot floppy in the mandrake control centre (configure my computer) ?

It should either make the floppy or tell you what's missing (if my memory serves me correctly).

Hope this help's a little

regards

John

I know how to revert back to my original MBR, but is there an easy way to get LILO onto a floppy from within Mandrake 10.0 or from the rescue mode of the CD?

A method without reverting to command line would be good. I am very confused after searching on Yahoo and Google for this.

***** I EDIT THE POST SINCE THE IMAGES COULDN'T BE SEEN, TO SEE IMAGE 1 GO TO THE BOTTON OF THIS POST AND IMAGE 2 AND 3 ON MY TWO OTHER REPLIES ******

Hi there!

First things first, this is where the MDK installer asks you where to install the bootloader (if you choose floppy there, it wont touch your actual HD mbr):

But if you passed this chance there is still hope... read on

SEE IMAGE 1

Im not at home right now, and definitely not using linux at the moment (yeah, you guessed it, im at work :wall: ) but ill try to guide you anyway and then if you cant get it working, i can post more detailed instructions when i get home.

- Go to the Mandrake Control Center (MCC) and choose the boot option:

SEE IMAGE 2

- From the options you get, choose the 'configure boot loader' one (or s/t similar), and this screen should appear:

SEE IMAGE 3

See where it says 'Boot device:'? you have to change that from '/dev/hda' (your HD) to (Im not sure what the option you need is called, im just guessing here:) '/dev/floppy', 'floppy', '/mnt/floppy' or something with the floppy word on it*****UPDATED: ITS /dev/fd0 WHAT YOU NEED ********, in order to install the bootloader into a floppy disk (you probably need to have a disk inserted in your floppy drive, and an empty one i guess... though i don't know for sure).

Now you can reboot with MDK CD1 and use it as a rescue disk to restore your old MBR (windoze one, i suppose). So once you've done that you'll need, from now on, to put the disk in the drive -and set your bios to 'booting from floppy'- to boot into MDK 10, and the disk out of the drive whenever you feel -if ever- like booting into whatever O.S. you had prior to installing MDK.

As i said earlier, post if you encounter any problems.

post-7-1089222139.png

Edited by feralertx

I have posted before, but I wondered if anybody else has had a problem with Mandrake 10.0 not allowing you the option of installing LILO onto a floppy?

A method without reverting to command line would be good.  I am very confused after searching on Yahoo and Google for this.

Many thanks.

if I remember correctly kernel 2.6 is too large to fit onto a floppy which is why this problem exists. :sad:

EDIT: which big john already said :-|

Edited by illogic-al

A method without reverting to command line would be good.  I am very confused after searching on Yahoo and Google for this.

Many thanks.

if I remember correctly kernel 2.6 is too large to fit onto a floppy which is why this problem exists. :sad:

EDIT: which big john already said :-|

if I remember correctly kernel 2.6 is too large to fit onto a floppy which is why this problem exists.

To my understanding (english not being my mother tonge) what he is after is to have lilo onto a floppy MBR, not a linux kernel not a boot floppy, please correct me if im wrong.

And I'm still using 9.2 for the time being although i have 10.0 OE installed too, and during install of 10 i told the installer to put the bootloader on the floppy disk so right now if a put the floppy disk in the drive i get to the bootloader -lilo- that 10 OE installed there, and if i remove the disk the pc boots into the bootloader -lilo here as well- that 9.2 installed (therefore 10.0 installation didnt replace my old bootloader and yes IT IS posible to do).

Edited by feralertx