lost installation

spider200

Well that depends.... :) But you can look for it with 'rpm -qa | grep <name-of-RPM>' to see if it's installed.

To see wich files are installed you can do as root: updatedb, and then as user: locate <name of file>

Edited by devries

If you are not at home with the command line and using a console then try the following GUI approach which works for me.

Click on HOME which will open up Konqueror. Click on the UP ARROW twice near the top left side and this will show all the ROOT Folders. Click on USR then click on BIN then look for a "gear wheel" icon with the same name as the program that you installed. If it is there, then left click down on it and hold and drag it to the PANEL (at the bottom of your screen) and drop it then click on OK, or drag it to the desktop and drop it then click on LINK HERE.

If the program is not in BIN then UP ARROW again and click on LOCAL and then BIN (it is not the same BIN as before) and look for it there. If it is not there either then there is another easy way to find where it has been installed and that is to open MCC (Mandrake Control Centre) then Software Manager then Remove then select All Packages and scroll down until you find the name of the package you had installed.

I am assuming it was an RPM package that you installed. If it was not then the rest of this part is irrelevant.

Click the button for Maximum Information. If you find your package then click on it to highlight it and

then scroll down the Files data and you should be able to get a good idea of where to look for that "gear wheel"icon having the title you are looking for.

Hope this helps you and a lot of other newcomers (I hate the word newbies).

Cheers. John.

Guest JoeDesertrat

This brings up an issue that I and I'm sure other users that have recently switched to Linux from Windows face. Where is the best place to install new software? I like to keep my filesystem organized (in Windows I was fanatical about it) and I don't want software installed all over the place. The FAQ's about software installation never seem to touch on the where, only the how.

Do you move tar's and rpm's to specific directories before extracting and installing? Tar's seem to install wherever extracted, what about rpm's?

I'm asking about software that I have downloaded from the internet rather than that that came with the distribution. Is there a way to get the package manager to locate and install packages that were downloaded rather than only those included with the install disks?

All that will do is open the Application which means everytime you want to use the Application you have to type in again.

What I suggest enables you to create an Icon you can use to open the application by finding where the activator is located.

As popular as the command line is, I think it is fair to say most of us prefer the GUI way since we are usually "two finger peckers" so typing is a real chore.

Cheers. John.