Default fonts too big

DragonMage

After a bit of an accident with multiple kernel panics prompting multiple computer resets in a row, it seems that my reiserfs partition cannot handle it, so I have to reinstall Mandrake 10 OE in my laptop (stupid non-legacy toshiba laptop.. :angry: ) So far everything works fine, except for the fonts. After clean reinstallation, the default font sizes in X double in size. While changing the font sizes in KDE helps somewhat, the rests (like Mozilla, Evolution, etc) are still very big. Is there any configuration that can be changed regarding this to get my default font size to be where it was? I didn't do anything different during installation and my /home partition is intact.

Thanks in advance.

I didn't do anything different during installation and my /home partition is intact.

Thanks in advance.

maybe that's the prob? Is it 'clean'?

have you mv'd your home dirs?

Have you tried root and new user accounts?

rpm -qa | grep XFree86

show 100 or 75dpi fonts installed? or both?

I didn't do anything different during installation and my /home partition is intact.

Thanks in advance.

maybe that's the prob? Is it 'clean'?

have you mv'd your home dirs?

Have you tried root and new user accounts?

rpm -qa | grep XFree86

show 100 or 75dpi fonts installed? or both?

Well, it's as clean as it can be without removing my /home partition.

All users are affected with this, so I believe it is something in the / partition. Even the kdm fonts look bigger than normal.

And I only install 75dpi fonts, just like before.

Forgot to tell that there is one thing I did different from before, which is installing the newest NVIDIA driver. But driver change shouldn't double the font size.. does it?

Edited by DragonMage

Forgot to tell that there is one thing I did different from before, which is installing the newest NVIDIA driver. But driver change shouldn't double the font size.. does it?

That had happened to me before (community edition). After installing nvidia, my fonts all changed size. Not quite double, but a couple points different. I don't know why and I wasn't too worry about it, since I intended on installing official shortly. Not sure, but may have been the 4496 release.

Well.. it is somewhat solved right now. All I did is rerun XFdrake and the fonts return to its usual small size. Now.. I wonder what exact changes are done though since the double sized default font can be useful for other people.