CD???

Sherpa

ok i know this may seem like a stupid question but...

lets say i was looking in my home directory and i have a .tar.gz file, so i open a terminal and cd, to my home directory, and then extract the file, then cd into the new dir that is made, right?

well what if i wanted to come out of the new directory and back to the home directory? would i have to retype the whole address? or is there a command that takes you back to the previous dir?

I'm new to this so I think that the command that takes you back to your home directory is

cd ~/

and to back to the last directory is this

cd ../

Try both of them I think they just worked for me.

-Luis

P.S Hey Liquidzoo tell me if this info is right. :thumbs: I want to help people but I don't want to give the the wrong information, I read a Tutorial on command line. I just tried it and it works, post if anything is wrong with it or if there is another way :thumbs:

Edited by Luis101

Those work for me... (but I don't use the slash).

$cd ..
$cd ~

I also like to use the <tab> key to auto complete the path. Say you have a folder named downloads in your home directory.

[user@localhost home]$cd dow<tab>

becomes

[user@localhost home]$cd downloads

Real handy for long names or those with spaces in them. Also confirms you got the path correct.

:D

Perfect just what I wanted to hear, hope all this helps Sherpa. I wish I can help you on more of your posts but I'm new and learning so I can only help with the stuff that I know or have experience my self.

-Luis

As said, "~" is $HOME, and ".." is parent directory.

One more usefull: "-" is previous directory. Example:

$ cd /usr/src/linux
$ pwd
/usr/src/linux
$ cd ~/Documents
$ pwd
/home/yves/Documents
$ cd -
$ pwd
/usr/src/linux
$ cd ../RPM
$ cd SRPMS
$ cd -
$ pwd
/usr/src/RPM

Don't forget that you can use the UP ARROW key to go back to previous actions in a console and then press Enter again. It saves a lot of typing and remembering stuff.

Cheers. John.

Yeah that TAB trick is great I just started using it and I can't tell you helpfull it is to install some of those tar.gz files. Instead of typing it and getting typos then I can just hit the TAB key and it puts it in for me, great trick too bad it didn't say anything about it that tutorial that I took on command line.

-Luis