Unable to connect to Localhost, CUPS not working...

Guest JaseP

I can't get connection to the localhost on my machine,... the WWW CUPS configuration tool, for example, returns a message about being unable to connect to localhost:631,... I also can't set the security level any lower than high (settings don't stick).

I'm unable to print, although when I use printerdrake, it detects my Lexmark z52 USB printer, I just can't get it to stick as the printer...

I don't think this is a hardware problem so much as a networking problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Guest Adriano

I have the exact same problem. I was frobbing with linuxconf, thinking I knew what I was doing, then bam, no more printing. This is what the logs say when I do service network restart:

Dec 13 11:57:06 Edhellond /etc/hotplug/net.agent: invoke ifup dummy0

dic 13 11:57:07 Edhellond network: Desactivando interfaz ppp0: succeeded

dic 13 11:57:09 Edhellond network: Deshabilitando reenvío de paquetes IPv4: succeeded

dic 13 11:57:09 Edhellond network: Configurando parámetros de red: succeeded

dic 13 11:57:12 Edhellond ifup: SIOCSIFADDR: file exists

dic 13 11:57:12 Edhellond ifup: SIOCSIFFLAGS: the requested address cannot be assigned

dic 13 11:57:12 Edhellond ifup: SIOCSIFNETMASK: the requested address cannot be assigned

dic 13 11:57:12 Edhellond ifup: SIOCSIFBRDADDR: the requested address cannot be assigned

dic 13 11:57:12 Edhellond ifup: SIOCSIFFLAGS: the requested address cannot be assigned

dic 13 11:57:12 Edhellond network: Activando interfaz lo: succeeded

dic 13 11:57:12 Edhellond network: Habilitando el reenvío de paquetes IPv4 succeeded

I have this on my /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1 Edhellond.TierraMedia.Arda Edhellond

127.0.0.1 localhost

Please note that I've tried with only the first line, only the normal localhost.localdomain localhost...

This is what route has to say:

Kernel IP routing table

Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface

200.61.32.134 * 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0

127.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo

127.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 dummy0

default 200.61.32.134 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 ppp0

(this is when I connect to the Internet, of course)

I do not have any network cards, only a modem... A funny thing is that if i open a browser and go to https://127.0.0.1:10000 (Webmin) It doesn't work. But when I say webmin on a root terminal it opens up in a browser alright. Any pointers to what I did wrong?

I have no idea actually,...

I noticed that I don't even have localhost:631 access in root. So for me, the network services aren't working right...

I'm still kinda at a loss,...

I'd hate to have to reinstall, or something else overkill, to fix this stupid problem.

Mystery of mysteries,...

Something I did must have worked, because I just got CUPS working...

Now,... does anyone know how to add a paper size (specifically USA Legal) to the available paper sizes???

Guest Adriano
Mystery of mysteries,...

Something I did must have worked, because I just got CUPS working...

Now,... does anyone know how to add a paper size (specifically USA Legal) to the available paper sizes???

Of course. Go to localhost:631 on your favorite browser, click on the "manage printers" link, then on the configure printer button and choose your favorite paper size.

You can also do this from some apps , specifically kups, I think

For the record, I solved the problem too. I tweaked everything (including resolv.conf, hosts, host.conf and kups. meddling with kups finally solved the problem, though I am not sure of how did I do it...

Unfortunately, Legal size is not available as a paper size in the Lexmark z52 driver,...

I'm really wondering how additional paper dimensions can get added to the list.

[i understand this has ceased being a network question now.]

Also, does anyone have any idea how the localhost suddenly became available??? I tried fiddling with things but made no real changes...

Hi

I have had the cups thing b4 and for me its because I don't run Cups SERVICE on bootup. I dont print enough to warrant it starting on boot.

Go to MCC and select services next time you can't get to localhost:631 and I suspect your cups is not RUNNING in services. Click stop and click start and see if that helps as well.

Hope this helps for next time