New nvidia drivers just released

pmpatrick

Guest ykpaiha

Just done nvidiaxxxx.run

very good on 2.6.3

But impossible on 2.6.7 ??? it seems problems with the kernel-dev

Mayby we can use smp or an other ?

any clue please

I am setting my config to load on startup. I had the same problem with my new card too. I had to many kernel sources kicking around when I when to the 2.6.7smp kernel. I could not install the driver anymore and basically had to reinstall my entire MDL box. It just would not install anymore.

Edited by Relic2K

Already posted in that other thread on the same topic, but once more (and a bit more elaborate):

Work great for me on kernel 2.6.3, no go what so ever on 2.6.7. The new control panel is a definite improvement over the hacked I'll-include-the-CP-from-driver-44xx approach you needed for the last set (if you wanted a control panel, that is). I am particularly fond of the colour correction settings--finally, easy gamma and contrast adjustments for my DVI/TFT screen.

The installer seems to have been upgraded, too--it warned me about a kernel module that was compiled into the mdk stock kernel (rivafb) and that I may not enable that module in conjunction with the NVIDIA module. A definite plus, even though I don't use that module myself. ;)

Performance-wise, x.org seems to start a tad faster (some 3-5s), but that may be my imagination. What's a definite, though, is Xine using less CPU cycles when watching DVD movies. So yes, I'm quite happy with the new driver release.

-Sascha.rb

no go for me :(

Now I can't get any of the nvidia drivers installed, either....

Anyone know where I can get a kernel-source rpm for 2.6.6-2? Right now, my kernel-source doesn't match my installed kernel (my one stupid number...kernel == 2.6.6-2, source == 2.6.6-1); and that's a pain in my ass. I've looked at rpmfind, and there isn't one in cooker anymore, only 2.6.7, which won't install at all for me.

I can't find it either. That's why it's a good idea to have;

kernel

kernel-source

in /etc/urpmi/skip.list

and always;

cd /bkup

tar -czf kernel-source-2.6.6-2.tar.gz /usr/src/linux-2.6.6-2mdk

before updating nvidia. I suppose you knew that though.

Yes, I knew that; but I never had the right kernel-source version to begin with. From the time I updated to the 2.6.6 kernel, but the nvidia driver (5328) installed anyway. Now I can't get any drivers to install.

Even if I could find a tar.gz of the Mandrake source, that would be helpful.