? about moving linux to new machine

areynolds65

I recently acquired a new computer and I have moved the HD with my linux installation from the old machine to the new machine. However, I've got a couple of questions on how to proceed from here.

My CD's are of M10 Beta. On my old machine I had been using urpmi to keep the packages up to date. If I literally reinstall the beta, will it overwrite the newer packages or will it see that some are newer and leave them in place?

I've considered just reinstalling LILO, but I'm a little concerned about the Windows partition information on the linux drive not matching the actual partitions on the new computer. Does reinstalling LILO automatically update the partition info? Also, the new computer has a recovery partition instead of actual CDs with software. (I HATE that but the computer was free so I'm willing to put up with it.) Will using LILO cause a problem if I need to access the recovery partition?

Another question related to just reinstalling LILO. Although I have moved some of the hardware from my old computer to the new one, obviously most of the hardware no longer matches what the linux installation expects to find when it boots. Is there a HOWTO or FAQ that talks about how to update the hardware configuration?

Thanks

Here is what I would do (and have done)

Know where your ide locations are in the new computer. Boot in the old, edit your fstab to reflect the new locations. Don't worry about lilo. At the moment, your problem is not windex, but is linux. If it is in different locations than before, you are in trouble!

Move the hard drive, and use cd1 rescue to install lilo. If you want, copy a back up of lilo to your /home and use it to create a new lilo in the new computer. Use rescue and then copy the locations to your "saved" back-up. Move it to /etc/lilo.conf and don't forgat to run "lilo -v" when you are done.

hda=ide pri master

hdb=ide pri slave

hdc=ide sec master

hdd= ide sec slave

I am not sure about your questions concerning windex. Windex must think it is alone in the universe. Problems are avoided if you remove lilo prior to "fixing" (reinstalling) windex.

You should also edit lilo.conf as well as fstab on the old machine to reflect the partition locations on the new box. For detecting the new hardware, after installing the hard drive in the new box, try rerunning the installation but choose the "upgrade" option. that should sort out your new hardware configuration. When you get to pacage selection, don't select any packages.

Note the upgrade install will not sort out your fstab or lilo.conf; you have to do that before hand on the old box.