Gentoo-My Gentoo Questions (revisited)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also do both (you should do kernel before glx though).

I alwasys emerge things if possible, so that they are included in emerge -u world

Of course, you can also make your own ebuilds for things that aren't on the portage tree as well.

And then you should go ~x86 - it's like riding your canoe over a beautiful waterfall :P

Well, it was only 4 hours to rebuild the system, until kde! This monster is taking 6 hours so far just by itslf!

For what it is worth, grub is easier to work with than lilo. If there is a boot problem, I can edit for corrections instaed of having to boot in some other way. I have always used lilo, but I am switching to grub.

If I entered both nvidia elements on the same line, won't portage sort it out? I noticed when I installed nvidia, X was also installed as a depend. Pretty slick!

Portage would sort them out, I'm just being pedantic again - ignore it :P

Grub is nice but for some reason I've always preferred Lilo - I'm old school like that.

You'll like Portage more and more as you use it. It's a sweet manager.

What is the story when portage errors out? While compiling 72 packages for kde, it errored at kde artwork. So, 24 packages left to go. Istarted the process again, and it is picking up where it left off. Does this happen to anyone else?

Yeah, it could've been any number of reasons.

Now and then you might stumble accross blocked packages that you need to sort out yourself, but it's usually only with more oscure ebuilds.

So long as it picked up where it left off, you're good to go!