Gentoo-My Gentoo Questions (revisited)

I am going to be ready for my kernel after work today, so which kernel are you using? I thought about the development-sources, as long as 2.6 is working!

INPUT! INPUT!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using the 2.6.7 stable vanilla sources - very happy.

The gentoo development sources are now on linux-gentoo-2.6.7-rc6 - I've always enjoyed playing with the Gentoo kernels, they have some nice stuff in there.

Also VEYR cool are the love sources - checkout the forums on the Gentoo site for more about them. They come with mm and drivers for some unusual stuff - great for lappies. HJ tried them out as well and seemed to like them lots and lots.

BUT I would recommend 2.6.7 vanilla. Pristine kernel source, stable.

development-sources (currently this is 2.6.6 for me as I haven't upgraded to the 2.6.7 yet)

gentoo-devel-sources caused some very odd problems for me. my mouse pointed acted like it was possessed from time to time...never figured it out. it's something with the patches used by the gentoo sources.

My everyday kernel is the gentoo-dev-sources (2.6.7). It hasn't given me any problems. Very stable.

For travel (laptop) is use mm-sources.(2.6.7) Its got some extra laptop patches. Its stable as well not not as good as the dev-sources in my opinion.

I am using the development-sources. Just seems like kernel 2.6.x should work better than in Mandrake!

Next, my ethernet modules is 8139too. Same module designation in Gentoo? I am compiling gnome and x along with my emu10k1. I forgot to look at the USE switches. It doesn't matter, since I am thinking about making Gentoo strictly gnome! :P

along with my emu10k1

i use the alsa driver and it works perfectly. it's part of the kernel and beats having to compile it! the module name (if you built it) is snd_emu10k1

be sure to depmod -a before you load it, as it depends on snd_util_mem and snd_hwdep

I may have to switch to grub. Gentoo will not boot. Lilo locks up. Or at least it freezes on the lilo screen. I compiled a kernel and the recompiled using genkernel, but no boot. Knowing me, it's the kernel configuration! If I install grub with the rescue, will it find the gentoo install?

genkernel BAD!! you can use the livecd to remount the partitions. did you make sure to rerun lilo after putting in the different kernel? did it work fine, no errors?

i say, screw genkernel, build your own kernel again.

I can get in through Mandrake without a problem, although there is something odd. fstab will not automount the partition; I have to do it manually. Maybe the partition is bad? At any rate, I can get in, I just can't boot to run it. I'll recompile again.

Here is what is happening. I have formatted the partition as ext3. The boot seems to try to mount it as ext2. Since it is not, kernel panic. I never use ext2 anymore. At least with grub I can directly see the process and where it fails. What do I do?

Maybe I should redo the entire install. I fromatted with DiskDrake. So summary, my boot process expects an ext2 partition and it is really ext3. Is there something I am missing in grub?