Playing DVD

Jet2k5

Hi again,

I tried to play a DVD with that Todem program but it says that it has run into a fatal error and cannot play the DVD I have selected, this sure didn't have with that Windows Player, also I kinda got some bootleg videos that are burned on to CD-R and usually Windows will play that but Totem won't. So I'm asking what can I do or what other media player can I download that will let me play these videos. Umm also does what program is good for playing these videos that are in urpmi? Oh yeah Music Cd's play fine. And if you guys need to know what kind of cd rom I have just tell me how to get that info, Im used to typing " dxdiag " on windows.

-Luis

You will need to add a plf (and contrib) source to urpmi. Head over to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org and add the sources.

Once you have done that, type this command as root in a console:

urpmi libdvdcss win32codecs

Install any dependencies that it may require and your dvd's and other cd's should work.

This is one of the replies that I get

# urpmi.addmedia plf ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/plf/mandrake/10.0 with hdlist.cz
added medium plf
urpmi database locked

Also how come when I try and put in a code it's asking me " Enter the text to be formatted " ? What the heck is this? Also here is what happnens next, or the continuation of the code ^ there.

#  urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://helios.dii.utk.edu/pub/linux/Mandrake/official/10.0/contrib/i586 with ../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz
medium "contrib" already exists

never mind that question ^ I see how it works now. Lol pretty cool, must be new. Anyways should I run that stuff you said ontop?

Once you have done that, type this command as root in a console:

CODE

urpmi libdvdcss win32codecs

I don't know if what you wanted to be installed is, so Im just gona try it and post back with the results, and then I will give " Shrek 2 " another spin. Lol

-Luis :D

Hmmm, this is what I get

# urpmi libdvdcss win32codecs
urpmi database locked

What the hell does this mean? I think that some one has been like hacking ino my system, or something. I found all these new buddy lists from no where, dam this makes me doubt Linux security.

-Luis

Lol all I did was just restart the computer and nows it's downloading that plf file. So how does the contrib look? Does that mean that the file is installed and working? As soon as it's done I'll do the rest. umm do you still recommend that I use Totem, or is this like some other Media player?

-Luis

By the way this is what I got

# urpmi.addmedia plf ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/plf/mandrake/10.0 with hdlist.cz
added medium plf
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1).cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2).cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.updates.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.main.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.contrib.cz]
computing md5sum of existing source hdlist (or synthesis)
retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "plf"...
   ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/plf/mandrake/10.0/hdlist.cz
found probed hdlist (or synthesis) as hdlist.cz
...retrieving done
examining hdlist file [/var/cache/urpmi/partial/hdlist.plf.cz]
writing list file for medium "plf"
examining pubkey file of "plf"...
...imported key caba22ae from pubkey file of "plf"
built hdlist synthesis file for medium "plf"
found 0 headers in cache
removing 0 obsolete headers in cache
write config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]

and when I ran that codec thing this is what I got

# urpmi libdvdcss win32codecs
no package named win32codecs

Im guessing it's not working.....

-Luis :unsure:

Edited by Luis101

Lol that was a simple mistake, and simply fixed lol well I just wanted to thank you once again and this what I got, after this I'm going to try Eurotrip ( good movie, and it's unrated )

# urpmi libdvdcss win32-codecs

ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/plf/mandrake/10.0/./i586/win32-codecs-1.5-1plf.i586.rpm
   ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/plf/mandrake/10.0/./i586/libdvdcss2-1.2.8-1plf.i586.rpm
installing /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/win32-codecs-1.5-1plf.i586.rpm /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libdvdcss2-1.2.8-1plf.i586.rpm
Preparing...                ##################################################
  1:libdvdcss2            ##################################################
  2:win32-codecs       ##################################################

Hope this looks, good I'll post back with any further problems.

-Luis

Well thats for the help Liquid zoo. The DVD worked ok but the CD-R didn't. Soo I was able to grab this error message

Totem could not play 'dvd:/'.

There is no plugin to handle this movie

Hmm the DVD like actuall DVD real movies, work but my bootleged versions, don't. The thing that sucks is that neither my PS2 or Xbox picks it up. What should I do about the error message?

-Luis

There are a few other dvd plugins that you might need, and that should help you be able to play your cdr as well. Might want to try libvcd0.

Check out this post from DragonMage: http://www.MandrakeUsers.org/index.php?sho...indpost&p=12726

Just be aware that most, if not all of those are going to be newer versions. That post was made when 9.0 was new. Those are the things I needed to play dvd's/vcd's on my laptop a while back.

read the post but briefly a CD isn't a DVD.... why would you expect it to work when selecting it as a DVD ?

answer yep years of windows....

in Linux usually a dvd is a dvd and a videoCD a videocd etc.

I tend to use Xine ..

my Xbox plays videoCd's and divX fine (under linux) but obviously not under the xbox dashboard.

adding SW with urpmi is easy for us to type here....

but its equivalent to using the add software in the Mandrake Control Centre (MCC). In the MCC add software you canb search etc. and this is a way to find nice software to try...

if the urpm,i database is locked then its probably becuase add software was open...there's no need to keep rebooting linux .. I reboot a couple of times a year when I change kernel or try new distro's....

(if you jkust do this then mostly you will never wpork out why it was locked)

good luck

Wow Im really really lost on this one............... I know that the DVD is not a Vide CD but when I open up totem and click on DVD when there is an actuall DVD in the CD-rom it plays, when I put the bootleged ones that are burned on to CD-R I choose the Video CD choice and then that error message that I posted comes, up I don't know why it says DVD because I clearly make sure I choose Video CD.

-Luis

Im really lost with thi xine this, is it another Media Player or just like programs to help play DVDs

I didn't reboot Linux, like re-install linux, just restarted the computer, you know? And come down Im sure you didn't get that " mandrake Guru" sign when you first came here. And yeah I know windows, hmm but what can I do about it? I'm working my A** of to learn as much as I can, so far I have learned tons, anyways Im going to read that post and see what I can make out of it.

Also what is Xine? Is that another media player or what?

-Luis

Edited by Luis101

Xine and mplayer are both media players. Xine is the best of the bunch imo.

Give xine a try, it might play your vcd's better than totem will.

I know Gowator didn't intend his post to come across as harsh or condecending. We're all trying to help people that come over from Windows to Mandrake (or any flavor of Linux) to get out of the "Windows mindset" of having to reboot for everything. I reboot about once a month, seriously. And I don't even have to do it that often.

But, as you did point out, rebooting will clear your urpmi database; but there are other ways of doing that too.